Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

citivolus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 19, 2008
do the new parental controls allow you to update limits on a child’s iPhone remotely like a managed device?

yass31

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2017
FR
Yes it looks like it.
Basically if the Apple IDs are part of an iCloud Family you can set up the kid's screen time from your phone, allow or block access to certain apps, set the downtime hours etc...
I guess that it's like when the kids request to buy something on the App Store, the organiser of the family and the other parent/guardians get a notification to approve the purchase.
Screen Shot 2018-06-06 at 18.09.35.png

EDIT :

I am the iCloud organiser of the family and everyone in the family is set up as Parent/Guardian so I decided to add my old Apple ID that is running on my iPhone 6.
The old Apple ID is set up as 'Adult' only and is the only one that appears on my iPhone X in the screen time menu (see the attached screenshots). The only problem is that info don't get retrieved from the iPhone 6 to the X. The menu stays blank like that.
But I can modify Screen Time's settings of the iPhone 6 from the X.
So I guess it shouldn't be different if it was a child's Apple ID. (minus the bug of course)

IMG_0008.png

IMG_0009.png

Last edited:

TheSkywalker77

macrumors 68030
Sep 9, 2017
If the two Apple ID’s are linked through Family Sharing, yes you can manage it remotely. You can also set app limits from the device and use a passcode to keep them from being changed by the child.

krazyleb

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2015
Edmonton
If the two Apple ID’s are linked through Family Sharing, yes you can manage it remotely. You can also set app limits from the device and use a passcode to keep them from being changed by the child.

So I moved my sons ipad to IOS 12 and turned this on to see if I could truly manage it from my phone (which is also on IOS 12) and its a no go.

He shows up on my list since he is part of my family, but when I click on his screen time it is blank

yass31

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2017
FR
He shows up on my list since he is part of my family, but when I click on his screen time it is blank

It's just a bug I think and it'll be resolved in the next betas, I have exactly the same issue between my two phones and Apple IDs. I just noticed that even changes in the settings (like setting up downtime or App limits) don't get applied on the second ID/Phone

citivolus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 19, 2008
So I moved my sons ipad to IOS 12 and turned this on to see if I could truly manage it from my phone (which is also on IOS 12) and its a no go.

This sounds like a bug that hopefully will get fixed in the beta releases. Good news for parents!

TheSkywalker77

macrumors 68030
Sep 9, 2017

Odd.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
What sucks about tying this to iCloud Family is that platform is limited to only 5 other people. So if you're married and have over four children with iOS devices then you're out of luck. Doesn't effect me but I know people who will be annoyed about this. It's one thing to limit sharing of DRM content, but another to limit a feature that shouldn't have a limit and just be standard functionality.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.