Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
NYC had a lot of problems with bedbugs over the past decade or so, but I haven't anecdotally ready too much about infestations there lately. Maybe they all packed their bags and went to Paris.

TohMac

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2019
Somewhere in the Universe
We had issues with them in Toronto, starting around 2004 or so. I havent heard much about them the last 7-8 years as I suspect by now most people know how to prevent them. They used to spread easily in apartment buildings but landlords for the most part seem to keep them under better control today. I picked up a small infestation once back then and it was absolute hell for a few weeks until assured they were no longer a problem. It was early on and I hadn't even heard of them or seen one before that. Lived in dread for sometime afterwards as I would see the odd one on our subways/underground and worried about carrying one home from any public area.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
bedbugs are the type of infestation that scares the crap out of me, as they're so difficult to get rid of. I believe what little I know, is getting rid of your mattress is a big step, but they can hid in other crevices and dark spots in your bedroom. Depending on how much stuff you may have in your room seemingly will make it that much harder to eradicate them

TohMac

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2019
bedbugs are the type of infestation that scares the crap out of me, as they're so difficult to get rid of. I believe what little I know, is getting rid of your mattress is a big step, but they can hid in other crevices and dark spots in your bedroom. Depending on how much stuff you may have in your room seemingly will make it that much harder to eradicate them

The time I had them, I was lucky. I was told to immediately place plastic margarine containers under each bed leg with water at the bottom, move the bed away from the wall and ensure that no sheets touch the floor etc. I don't know how they got in but it was an immediate infestation. I had also just purchased an $2000 bed a month or two earlier so I was pretty vigilant. Slept with the lights on in my bedroom for about 10 days until this was all under control. Wouldn't sit on my sofa but a hard chair. Washed and bagged everything before the sprayer came in. Then a week again later. Yes, it was hell but I was fortunate enough in that they never got to my bed and I have never seen one since. That was in the early days before people regularly sprayed so they were very easy to pick up and hitchhike home in your shopping, transit, etc.

Reactions: maflynn

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
We had issues with them in Toronto, starting around 2004 or so. I havent heard much about them the last 7-8 years as I suspect by now most people know how to prevent them. They used to spread easily in apartment buildings but landlords for the most part seem to keep them under better control today. I picked up a small infestation once back then and it was absolute hell for a few weeks until assured they were no longer a problem. It was early on and I hadn't even heard of them or seen one before that. Lived in dread for sometime afterwards as I would see the odd one on our subways/underground and worried about carrying one home from any public area.
Ha, back when I was on student exchange in Toronto in 2011 they were still going strong :D

TohMac

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2019
Ha, back when I was on student exchange in Toronto in 2011 they were still going strong :D
Oh I am sure they are still here. I just think they are better controlled than they were in or around 2005. Sure I do see some run down buildings with the odd mattress out front that leads me to believe that building might have them but for the most part I think landlords today spray on a regular basis. No one really knew how to handle them in the beginning. That all said, they are everywhere in cities. I live in a home today so there is less chance of a neighbour bringing them to me but I think most buildings and condos have a better handle today on how to deal with them, quickly and efficiently.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Lawyers are infesting Paris?

No offense any lawyers reading this, just some funny comedy matetial. Yuk yuk.

I'll let myself out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.