Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hallonskalle

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 1, 2020
EDIT: Turned off "True Tone" and the flickers stopped. Turned on it is there again. What does True tone actually do and is this a software/driver bug perhaps?
Hey.

Got a 16" Mac i9 Base model last week.
First thing I noticed while playing projects in both Logic Pro X and Maschine DAW.
The white "playhead" marker that runs through the projects when you press play seems to be pulsating from the original white to light blue. This dissapears when you zoom in a bit. However when you zoom in you see very clearly the "ghosting/trailing" issue. The ghosting I am aware off some users reported and it is there.
But the pulsating white to blue looks like almost the screen is bad or graphics issue. Does anyone else experience this?
Also after working in project where you scroll a bit back and forth between audio/midi notes the blur from the ghosting is quite annoying. I have never seen this or been aware of this. My Macbook pro 13" 2015 has solid white "playheads" while they are moving and does not cause this slight motion sickness.

Apple technicians are checking in to it this week but they had no reports on the issue.
Otherwise the machine works really well.

Last edited:

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
Some people regard True Tone as a bug, but officially it's there on purpose to make the colors look more "natural" in shifting light conditions.

Hallonskalle

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 1, 2020
Some people regard True Tone as a bug, but officially it's there on purpose to make the colors look more "natural" in shifting light conditions.
Ah ok I see!
For me when I have it On the display looks more yellowish/browner tint IMO.
I don't work with photos only music production so glad that the bug dissapear.
The eye discomfort from blurr or whatever it is, is another story.

raffy

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2016
Which discrete GPU do you have?

When my MBP16 is on the 5500M, the final retina composite (at max display scale, would be 4096x2560 to 3072x2560) causes incorrect anti-aliasing when downscaling by 75%.

You can see this by dragging your mouse across a solid color region of the display while on the integrated GPU, then switch GPU and repeat the same drag, and you'll see flicking and white/blue discoloration.

cursor.png

Last edited:

Hallonskalle

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 1, 2020
Which discrete GPU do you have?

When my MBP16 is on the 5500M, the final retina composite (at max display scale, would be 4096x2560 to 3072x2560) causes incorrect anti-aliasing when downscaling by 75%.

You can see this by dragging your mouse across a solid color region of the display while on the integrated GPU, then switch GPU and repeat the same drag, and you'll see flicking and white/blue discoloration.

View attachment 897680
That is same problem as mine I think. A beta user said that the next update fixes that.

mtoddy

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2006
Columbus
I posted about this a little while back and have been trying to get anyone to tell me if the problem persists in 10.15.3 because I downgraded to 10.15.1 awhile back to "fix" this issue:

Hallonskalle

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 1, 2020
I posted about this a little while back and have been trying to get anyone to tell me if the problem persists in 10.15.3 because I downgraded to 10.15.1 awhile back to "fix" this issue:
Have 10.15.3 and the problem is there. Read somewhere that a user had the beta 10.15.4 and it was fixed there. It goes away if I disable True Tone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.