Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sanddoc

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 12, 2019
If I have posted in wrong section please forgive me...
I am running High Sierra on a partitioned HD...
the first partition is about 700gb with Mojave on it
the second is High Sierra with only about 50gb

I want to totally remove the Mojave partition, I have removed to a thumb drive all the important stuff.
but Disc utility says I cannot remove the "first" partition on the HD..

Should I use time machine to backup my High Sierra partition to the Thumb drive the go for a fresh install
on the HD
or does anyone have another solution...
Best
Dave
sanddoc@gmail.com

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Should I use time machine to backup my High Sierra partition to the Thumb drive
Yep... make a TM backup of the HS install, then option key boot to it. That will get you to a recovery screen. Then use set Disk Util to show all devices and select the drive itself at the very top and erase the drive to APFS. Then restore HS from the TM drive.

Screen Shot 2019-10-19 at 7.27.47 AM.png Screen Shot 2019-10-19 at 7.27.56 AM.png

Sanddoc

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 12, 2019
Well I'm on a Merry go round again..
I can't download HS From the internet.
I can not use time machine because my thumb drive is locked, "I can not eject it" yet
I can not download it from the APP store, not enough space on my active Partition..
now let me see, is there anything else!!!
Not like OS 2 at all.
So 2 questions...
1. Can I download OS HS onto a bigger partition and run install from my HS partition?
2.. If (One) is yes, which exact version of HS to download.. IC 10.13. 2 or 3, or 6, IC no
10.13 can I install 10.13.6?
Thanks

MacUser2525

Suspended
Mar 17, 2007
Canada
Well I'm on a Merry go round again..
I can't download HS From the internet.
I can not use time machine because my thumb drive is locked, "I can not eject it" yet
I can not download it from the APP store, not enough space on my active Partition..
now let me see, is there anything else!!!
Not like OS 2 at all.
So 2 questions...
1. Can I download OS HS onto a bigger partition and run install from my HS partition?
2.. If (One) is yes, which exact version of HS to download.. IC 10.13. 2 or 3, or 6, IC no
10.13 can I install 10.13.6?
Thanks

Easy way to do it is to get Carbon Copy Cloner. Then you can use disk utility to erase the big partition and copy your current install of HS to it. Or now I am thinking more about it, I think it is dosdude perhaps that has script to download the installer for osx directly from apples servers. You get to choose the version you would of course go with 10.13.6 the only one to make sense in installing unless you want non up to date system running. A quick search confirms my memories recollection, you do not have to patch with the tool only do the download.

Reactions: jbarley

Sanddoc

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 12, 2019
Thanks for that info...
I can tell you I've spent hours trying to beat Apple, I can't do it...
my big partition is formatted and ready to go.

Sanddoc

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 12, 2019
OK finally got my "big" partition working with HighSierra... I used Super duper.. worked great
700gb
Now need to retrieve movies and music from a troublesome thumb drive....
Best to all

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.