Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

peterlockee

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 22, 2018
Strange situation. For a second time this morning, when i woke up my device showed the passcode lockscreen stating "Pascode required after iphone restarts"? Thats really strange. Either there is some bug in 11.3 on my X or someone is touching my phone?
But, i my sim card is locked with PIN, everytime the phone restarts the PIN is required again. But in those cases the phone states it was restarted but my sim cards is still active (does not request PIN code), which means the phone was not restarted?
Is it a bug or something is going on here?

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Strange situation. For a second time this morning, when i woke up my device showed the passcode lockscreen stating "Pascode required after iphone restarts"? Thats really strange. Either there is some bug in 11.3 on my X or someone is touching my phone?
But, i my sim card is locked with PIN, everytime the phone restarts the PIN is required again. But in those cases the phone states it was restarted but my sim cards is still active (does not request PIN code), which means the phone was not restarted?

It's possible your phone restarted itself overnight for whatever reason. It's happened to me a couple of times.

KrisLord

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2008
Northumberland, UK
It's possible your phone restarted itself overnight for whatever reason. It's happened to me a couple of times.

I think the OP is saying that can’t be the case as he has an additional PIN lock on the SIM card which isn’t being requested here.

The odd time my X requests a pin rather than faceID, but it doesn’t mention a restart.

peterlockee

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 22, 2018
I've turned FACE IF off for a while now. So those few nights that happened i had no face id on. I am waking up and instead of the regular passcode screen it appears the passcode screen again but with the message "Passcode required after Iphone restarts" At first i freaked out someone may have tried to play with my device while sleeping but there is no logic for anyone to turn of the device.
But again, everytime my phone really restarts the SIM LOCK appears and the moment i unlock my device sim is requested for sim card unlock. In those two morning there was no SIM PIN request just the message that iphone was restarted. Seem strange, do you think i should worry about my device's security?

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Maybe the screen is for the 4hr inactivity timeout? Ala Touch ID where need to re-verify password after inactivity.

The passcode hasn’t been used to unlock the device in the last 156 hours (six and a half days) and Face ID has not unlocked the device in the last 4 hours.

peterlockee

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 22, 2018
I dont understand exactly how that works but again i do this every night and those this week alone two times its states that my iphone was restarted. Again i am not using Face id at the moment.
Week ago i left my device at my carrier for software issues and they recovered it thorugh itunes (thats what they said). It happened after that. Is it possible that they did something or it's just coinsidence? Because i've never seen that ever on my iphone (to wake up and to tell me my phone had restarted), and apart from that the lack of Sim pin requirement.
Really odd..
[doublepost=1524421570][/doublepost]I've seen when using FACE ID after few wrong faces it claim Passcode required to enable Face ID
But here. no face id at all, message states after RESTART.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I think the OP is saying that can’t be the case as he has an additional PIN lock on the SIM card which isn’t being requested here.

The odd time my X requests a pin rather than faceID, but it doesn’t mention a restart.
Could be a respring due to some crash or something like that, rather than a full restart.

peterlockee

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 22, 2018
The only things that was on that night was my alarm and sleeping schedule. When i woke up to shut of the alarm, moments later it showed the passcode request. It happened twice as i said. A friend says iphone cant restart on its own unless its somehow compromised. This is freaking me out. My phone was for a week on repair services.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
My iPad Mini without touch id or Face-ID gives me that passcode required after restart whenever it locks (due to time) and I have to wake it up. I think it is a bug but never really cared since I have to enter the passcode anyway to unlock so don't care about message. This has been sever IOS versions old

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA

If the phone reboots due to an iOS crash or other reason, you won't be asked for the SIM passcode because that's only necessary when the SIM itself is "rebooted". The iPhone rebooting doesn't interrupt power to the SIM so it will keep working without the passcode, unlike when you "slide to power off" which shuts down the SIM as well.

peterlockee

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 22, 2018
The only thing that comes to my mind, i had both Bedtime alarm and another manually added alarm, both times i overslept both of them, they were ringing from many minutes but both times i was so off that i couldn't stand up to stop them so they eventually stopped. Is it possible that, they somehow crasshed the ios. Because again they were both set u and came one on another?
[doublepost=1524433302][/doublepost]Also, i now remmeber both times my battery was really low, i mean not critical but somewhere around 30% probably. Could the continues alarm and low battery somehow to have forced the device to restart ?

paulg1981

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2014
Almost certainly a respring in the night. Happens to me to on occasion and the only way I know is I get the passcode screen you are referring to.

adamhenry

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2015
On the Beach
I have had multiple iPhones and an iPad that will restart on their own overnight and require the PIN in the morning. I think I went to the trouble to track this down in the logs once.

Last edited:

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
A friend says iphone cant restart on its own unless its somehow compromised.

This friend is apparently clueless to how computers work and, if I were you, I'd ignore all their subsequent advice.

IPhones, iPad, Apple Watches, Apple TV, HomePods etc. are all some variation of a computer at heart. And, in just the same way you can get odd restarts on things like a Windows PC, the same can happen with an iDevice. Usually it's the UI respringing on iDevices however on odd occasions one can experience kernel panics or hardware protections that for an entire device to reboot (although these are rare things these days).

Hicksmat1976

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2016
Manchester, England
I have had this too.

I know there is a time out on on Touch ID and possibly Face ID of around 8 hours - am sure I read that somewhere - If you don't use either of those on your phone for more than 8 hours (so phone on standby, no activity from the user) then you have to unlock with a passcode.

Minorite

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2018
Poland
If you still have this issue and it bothers you (and you are sure it's not related to the 8 hours time out), there is a hard way to make sure it's an iOS bug:
- Go to iTunes and make an encrypted backup (to save passwords, Wi-Fi settings, etc.).
- Reset your device to factory settings and check if the passcode issue will persist.
- If not, restore the backup.

If it will return after the restore, it's iOS fault.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
I woke up to this this morning on my X. Was wondering why the attention aware alarm sound dropping didn't take affect. Got the message that my passcode was required to enable FaceID. I slept for less than 8 hours but most nights I sleep for longer than 8 and this only happens occasionally. Based on my experience alone I haven't been able to find any sort of pattern.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I have had this too.

I know there is a time out on on Touch ID and possibly Face ID of around 8 hours - am sure I read that somewhere - If you don't use either of those on your phone for more than 8 hours (so phone on standby, no activity from the user) then you have to unlock with a passcode.
I don't believe that's quite the case just on its own. As I recall it's if you haven't used it in the last 8 hours and the last time you actually used the passcode was also something like a week ago.

Rayshaun

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2023
But, i my sim card is locked with PIN, everytime the phone restarts the PIN is required again. But in those cases the phone states it was restarted but my sim cards is still active (does not request PIN code), which means the phone was notrestarted?

How did you correct this problem?

Rayshaun

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2023
Have you tried to restore your phone using iTunes/Finder? It will remove the passcode but you'll definitely need to enter your AppleID to get past the activation lock
So, I went to Verizon and corrected the issue. It turned out that the hearing-impaired function was enabled. They mention I must have hit the side button a few times to activate it. All is well now.

Reactions: BugeyeSTI
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.