Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
For those patrons of MacRumors who've been around for a while, it is with a sad heart that I announce that MacRumors member @Shrink has passed away. @Shrink's real name is Dr. Richard Hanish, Ph.D. of Stoughton, MA. His profession was psychology, and he was in practice until about ten years ago. He was in his late 70s when he died.

Dr Richard Hanish.jpg

About ten years ago, he suffered a fall down his stairs, where he broke his neck and had severe spinal cord injuries. After many months of physical therapy, he learned to walk and use his arms again to varying degrees. He also suffered severe nerve damage in his arms, which contributed to severe pain 24 hours a day. Within a year or so of the fall, he also suffered a cardiac event and died on the emergency room table for 30 seconds. Doctors revived him and then placed a pacemaker inside of him to regulate his heartbeat.

This series of events is what led to his departure from this forum. Typing and active participation were too much for him to manage after his accident. Speech-to-text was an option, but it still needed to be more convenient for use on an internet forum to be effective and worth his effort.

Despite all this, he and I remained good friends for about 14 years after meeting on the MacRumors forum. We were virtual pen pals, exchanging daily emails for years. There were text messages from time to time and an occasional FaceTime chat.

We would discuss various things in our lives, and Richard took particular interest in my two cats, Puma and Cassini. Puma, unfortunately, passed away two years ago at the age of 16. He was my best friend. Cassini is seven years old and still with me. Richard loved to get photos of Cassini and Puma and rejoiced in their silly kitty antics. Richard said he used to have two cats many years ago and loved them very much.

Richard lived alone and rarely left his home except to visit the doctor and pharmacy. He had no other friends but me, with whom he communicated regularly. He has an ex-wife he rarely spoke about, and I don't know how often they communicated. He also has a sister who has full-on dementia and has been this way for years and has been unable to speak.

Richard and I became friends after I was diagnosed with diabetes and had to find a new source of caffeine, as I could no longer have soda pop. I never liked coffee because my dad drinks instant coffee, which I found gross when I tried. Richard and some others here on MacRumors helped me understand and learn what proper coffee is like, and I tumbled down the rabbit hole of espresso machines, pour-overs, and fresh-roasted coffee beans.

Richard also turned me into fine scotch whisky. His favorite, and now mine, is The Macallan single malt Highland scotch whisky.

Every evening at 1930 (7:30 pm), we would virtually, through email, clink glasses and wish each other "cheers" as we sipped our scotch.

The last time I heard from him was Sunday evening at scotch time.

On Monday morning, I did not receive my customary email from him. I emailed him around 9 am and heard nothing all day while at work. By 5 pm, I called his cell phone, and there was no answer. The worst had occurred since we had never missed a day without emailing one another in years.

When I got into the office this morning, I called the Stoughton, MA, police department to ask for a welfare check on Richard. A little while later, a sergeant called me back, regretfully informing me that Richard had passed away yesterday.

Richard had a habit of occasionally sending me email links to bottles of The Macallan Scotch, which sold for thousands if not tens of thousands of dollars. He would say, " Get a bottle of this for me, and get one for yourself, too! "

He once sent me a link to The Macallan Rare Cask, which was about $300 at the time. I bought it then. I still have the bottle but only break it out on special occasions.

Tonight, at 1930, I took out the bottle of Rare Cask and poured a dram in Richard's honor.

Cheers, doc! 🥃

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
Damn. I don't remember any specific interactions but I certainly recognise the name and profile pic. RIP 🥃

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
For those patrons of MacRumors who've been around for a while, it is with a sad heart that I announce that MacRumors member @Shrink has passed away. @Shrink's real name is Dr. Richard Hanish, Ph.D. of Stoughton, MA. His profession was psychology, and he was in practice until about ten years ago. He was in his late 70s when he died.

About ten years ago, he suffered a fall down his stairs, where he broke his neck and had severe spinal cord injuries. After many months of physical therapy, he learned to walk and use his arms again to varying degrees. He also suffered severe nerve damage in his arms, which contributed to severe pain 24 hours a day. Within a year or so of the fall, he also suffered a cardiac event and died on the emergency room table for 30 seconds. Doctors revived him and then placed a pacemaker inside of him to regulate his heartbeat.

This series of events is what led to his departure from this forum. Typing and active participation were too much for him to manage after his accident. Speech-to-text was an option, but it still needed to be more convenient for use on an internet forum to be effective and worth his effort.

Despite all this, he and I remained good friends for about 14 years after meeting on the MacRumors forum. We were virtual pen pals, exchanging daily emails for years. There were text messages from time to time and an occasional FaceTime chat.

We would discuss various things in our lives, and Richard took particular interest in my two cats, Puma and Cassini. Puma, unfortunately, passed away two years ago at the age of 16. He was my best friend. Cassini is seven years old and still with me. Richard loved to get photos of Cassini and Puma and rejoiced in their silly kitty antics. Richard said he used to have two cats many years ago and loved them very much.

Richard lived alone and rarely left his home except to visit the doctor and pharmacy. He had no other friends but me, with whom he communicated regularly. He has an ex-wife he rarely spoke about, and I don't know how often they communicated. He also has a sister who has full-on dementia and has been this way for years and has been unable to speak.

Richard and I became friends after I was diagnosed with diabetes and had to find a new source of caffeine, as I could no longer have soda pop. I never liked coffee because my dad drinks instant coffee, which I found gross when I tried. Richard and some others here on MacRumors helped me understand and learn what proper coffee is like, and I tumbled down the rabbit hole of espresso machines, pour-overs, and fresh-roasted coffee beans.

Richard also turned me into fine scotch whisky. His favorite, and now mine, is The Macallan single malt Highland scotch whisky.

Every evening at 1930 (7:30 pm), we would virtually, through email, clink glasses and wish each other "cheers" as we sipped our scotch.

On Monday morning, I did not receive my customary email from him. I emailed him around 9 am and heard nothing all day while at work. By 5 pm, I called his cell phone, and there was no answer. The worst had occurred since we had never missed a day without emailing one another in years.

When I got into the office this morning, I called the Stoughton, MA, police department to ask for a welfare check on Richard. A little while later, a sergeant called me back, regretfully informing me that Richard had passed away yesterday.

Richard had a habit of occasionally sending me email links to bottles of The Macallan Scotch, which sold for thousands if not tens of thousands of dollars. He would say, " Get a bottle of this for me, and get one for yourself, too! "

He once sent me a link to The Macallan Rare Cask, which was about $300 at the time. I bought it then. I still have the bottle but only break it out on special occasions.

Tonight, at 1930, I took out the bottle of Rare Cask and poured a dram in Richard's honor.

Cheers, doc! 🥃
Very nice tribute about your good friend. My condolences on your loss.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Thank you, @SandboxGeneral, for posting this sad news, and thank you, also, for posting your warm and heartfelt tribute to @Shrink. You have been an excellent friend to him.

I am deeply saddened to learn this, but, not unfortunately, all that surprised.

In any case, I remember @Shrink very well, - he frequented the coffee forum, where he was an active, engaged, and informed, participant, and PRSI, among other places, and used to discuss movies (which is how we started chatting, he got in touch with me after I wrote about The Third Man, and we used to chat from there), and we chatted about coffee, music, movies, fountain pens, and leather briefcases, among other matters - he introduced me to the products of the excellent US leather company Colonel Littleton - and we communicated frequently by DM here, also, for a number of years.

He was a wonderful (and concerned and supportive) friend to me when I was deployed with the EU to Afghanistan, where I worked for the best part of two years, around a decade ago.

Shortly after my return from Kabul, he had his accident, and, his participation in the forum - for perfectly obvious reasons - declined after that.

I was last in touch with him privately in 2016, when he explained that, for the reasons that @SandboxGeneral has already outlined, above, he wouldn't be playing an active role - or any role - in the forums in the future.

In truth, I missed his wry, and wise, comments and observations, - I had always enjoyed his intelligent and thoughtful posts - and had often wondered how he was.

My condolences to you, @SandboxGeneral, and to anyone else who knew him and held him in high esteem.

Sleep well, @Shrink.

Last edited:

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Oh, I am so sad to hear that Shrink has passed on..... I definitely remember him well from the old days: a very wise, thoughtful and interesting man! As time went on it was distressing to hear of his significant health problems, and his eventual disappearance from MR wasn't surprising. I imagine that this frustrated him quite a lot.

In spite of the obstacles in his way, I'm so glad that the two of you were able to stay in touch with each other! Thank you for letting us know about this latest news.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Been away for awhile, and then see this very sad post. I have fond memories of Shrink especially in coffee banter. Always kind and good-humoured. Even under the circumstances I am happy to hear from @SandboxGeneral and am glad you were such a good friend to Shrink in his difficulty.

jedimasterkyle

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2014
Idaho

Cheers, doc! 🥃
My condolences for the loss of your friend @SandboxGeneral. While I did not know @Shrink, he sounds like a wonderful person and a great drinking buddy. Excellent tribute to him.

Kurwenal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2012
Such sad news. Ah, dear Shrink. How much I enjoyed our discussions and debates over the proper way to roast espresso. During dark times, a new post or email or text from you always brought light, and wisdom. I survived my health challenges. You did not. I do not know why. The universe is fickle.

Wherever you are this morning, I hope you are enjoying the most exquisite doppio, with thick, luscious crema, made by your hand with beans you roasted, and cherished, and created using that infernal hand crank that brought you so much joy. I hope its full body and notes of caramel and chocolate bring you peace for at least a moment today.

Thank you to dear @Scepticalscribe for bringing this thread to my attention. To her, to @SandboxGeneral, and to @mobilehaathi: hello, and what fond memories I have of each of you. I wish you all the best.

O amore, o bella luce del core,
fiammella eterna, che il mondo ha in sè.
Mesta carezza, lieto dolore,
la vita è in te!
Blanda è la luce che a notte scende,
sfolgora il sole possente ognor,
pure il tuo raggio su tutti splende,
luce del cor!
Oh! Splendi, eterna limpida face,
spanditi, o palpito generator!
Oh! Canta, canta l'inno di pace,
la vita è amor!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.