Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KevinAPearson

macrumors member
Original poster
May 12, 2018
UK
So I like the idea of the new Passkeys in iOS 16 but was wondering:
If I buy a new iPhone or iPad etc, will I still need to know my Apple ID password to set up my new device?
If we are trying to move away from passwords, how will it work in this situation?

kylew1212

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2017
Huntsville, AL
Disclaimer 100% unsure...

However, my understanding was that passkeys would allow the elimination of passwords on websites but still require a password on the platform. Similar to a password manager app where many passwords are auto generated but the master password manager still has a key.

Apple/Google/Microsoft/device provider accounts would still require a password

Reactions: KevinAPearson

KevinAPearson

macrumors member
Original poster
May 12, 2018
UK
Disclaimer 100% unsure...

However, my understanding was that passkeys would allow the elimination of passwords on websites but still require a password on the platform. Similar to a password manager app where many passwords are auto generated but the master password manager still has a key.

Apple/Google/Microsoft/device provider accounts would still require a password
So it’s probably not a good idea to have a 20 digit password for your Apple ID unless you can keep it somewhere safe as a hard copy.
Looking forward to the day when you can set up a new iPhone just by Face ID alone!

kylew1212

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2017
Huntsville, AL
So it’s probably not a good idea to have a 20 digit password for your Apple ID unless you can keep it somewhere safe as a hard copy.
Looking forward to the day when you can set up a new iPhone just by Face ID alone!

That day is a long way away.. That would require Apple to store data about your face in the cloud somewhere which most people might not be cool with.

As it is, you can setup a new iPhone with your old iPhone and just bring them close together.. Might not even require a password (I don't remember for sure, but am thinking no password).

Reactions: KevinAPearson
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.