Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

violetdudley

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2015
Using a password manager (1Password) passkeys for several login entries have been created. In those involving Apple sign-ins (ID, iCloud, etc) the password manager creating the passkey offers a choice of storing the passkey in the manager app or in iCloud keychain. Is there any downside in this binary to not using the iCloud keychain option? Much yet to be learned about passkeys here.

FWIW, the passkeys are functioning smoothly in all cases.

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016
choice of storing the passkey in the manager app or in iCloud keychain. Is there any downside in this binary to not using the iCloud keychain option? Much yet to be learned about passkeys here.

FYI, this post provides a good overview of passkeys:

My view on where to store passkeys for Apple accounts is based on risk management. A risk of storing those passkeys outside of iCloud, especially if the password manager provider is storing passkeys on its servers and it is a company with fewer financial and staff resources relative to Apple, is the company could have a higher likelihood of shutting down, getting sold to another company, or not being able to withstand an attack on its infrastructure. In any of these cases, you could end up losing access to your passkeys or having to make changes to your login routines quickly and under pressure.

So, it might make sense for you to separate where passkeys you regard as mission critical are stored from your other passkeys.

Reactions: Apple_Robert

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2020
I use 1P also and like the functionality of storing notes, license keys, etc. Passkeys have worked well for me, some sites make a fuss of Passkeys+2FA and the OTP clipboard, but mostly it's fine. The 1P support has always been quite prompt with issues and questions so that's an important aspect for me. Unless I've misunderstood the question, I think using 1P and Apple's keychain (the binary bit you wrote?), will be too much work to keep synched/ up to date.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.