Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

romanof

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 13, 2020
Texas
Passkeys are a great idea and they are wonderful when they work. I use long and random passwords that are almost impossible to key in manually without error and PKs avoid the problem.

But, we are in early days and the experience can vary widely and few sites use them yet, but Apple should be one that totally embraces the procedure.

I brought up the Mac App Store to get a minor program (seen on this site) and rather than doing the usual get-password-from-USB-cut-and-paste procedure I was expecting it to give an offer for my Apple passkey. Nowhere can I find one. As far as I can tell, everything is turned on in Settings for passkeys but I could never find the usual button "Sign on with Passkey."

Of course IOS works every time as expected with devices that have Facetime. I have triggered the passkey offer on my Mac a very few times before elsewhere, with the QR code appearing for capture with the iPhone, and that also worked fine.

I am missing something obvious.

Anybody?

*** MacRumors needs a sub-forum for Security, especially as events are showing that Internet miscreants are growing in both ability and numbers exponentially.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.