Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ameer_1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 29, 2023
Boca Raton, Florida
I just received this for the first time on my Macbook Air M2
Screenshot 2023-10-30 at 8.59.08 PM.png

Reactions: dumastudetto

Saturn007

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2010
Scary message.

Was that really from Apple?! How can one be sure?

But still worth changing the password, in any case. Key Chain and Safari-generated passwords are your friend.

Reactions: scouser75

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
The above "message" -almost- looks to be "phony" -- as in "spam" or "phishing" ...

OP: in what context did you "receive" that alert?
Perhaps it was a dodgy site that you were visiting...

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016
Was that really from Apple?!
The above "message" -almost- looks to be "phony" -- as in "spam" or "phishing" ...

Safari and macOS can generate those messages:

https://www.reddit.com/r/mac/comments/mcw5xa

BUT, I agree that context and caution are important here. I would not click the button in the popup window (go to the affected website using a known safe address in a web browser), especially if the popup appeared when visiting a website or using an app for the first time. In any case, if the warning is not legitimate (an attacker could easily generate graphics identical to Apple’s), changing a password by directly going to an organization’s website won’t cause any harm.

Last edited:
Reactions: scouser75

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2008
Scary message.

Was that really from Apple?! How can one be sure?

But still worth changing the password, in any case. Key Chain and Safari-generated passwords are your friend.
I'm might sound a little silly here, but if I use key chain or safari generated passwords, they'll be very difficult to remember of wanting to log on on another device.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Probably legit. And can confirm: System Settings > Passwords > Security Recommendations. Will see a list of problem passwords. And if legit, will see the "leaked" entry.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.