Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

james-bailey

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2010
Hi folks, I tried logging into a website yesterday on my phone and a popup came up saying that this password was leaked and needs to be changed, or words to that effect.

I then looked in Settings > Passwords to find 100s of security recommendations.

I sat down for about 3 hours last night logging into each of the website and choosing an automated strong password which is something i hadn't done ever before since last night.

I did this all on my phone

My question is, only some of these new passwords are now autofilled on my mac... Not all of them have synced? I cant work out why some are but some are not?

Is there a foolproof / thorough way to do this to they are all available on both phone and mac without having to copy out the long new password?

I chose to do it on my phone as I am more likely to have my phone on my person in the future to be able to look up these random passwords if needed. Any info / experience would be greatfully received,

Thanks!

Steven-iphone

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2020
United States
Perhaps a password manager app. I use BitWarden. It syncs across multiple devices, and is Open Source Code. And it generates TOTP - Time-based One-time Password codes (no extra app needed for Two-Factor Authentication).

james-bailey

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2010
Thanks, just an update..

I think when iCloud syncs the keychain data between mac and iPhone it can sometimes be instant and sometimes take quite a while. This was confusing me thinking that some sites were not syncing and others were and it was baffling me why.

Since then I have purchased 1password which has been highly recommended and I concur!

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
I've never found iCloud keychain password syncing to be 100% reliable.
Sometimes it doesn't work.
To increase your chances of success, all devices should be running the latest version of their operating system

james-bailey

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2010
I've never found iCloud keychain password syncing to be 100% reliable.
Sometimes it doesn't work.
To increase your chances of success, all devices should be running the latest version of their operating system
Yes I get that impression!

Currently using a 2010 Mac Book on High Sierra so not the latest OS by a long way!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.