Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Any active Pathfinder (Mac/PC) players here?

Pathfinder-Kingmaker-release-date-digital-editions.jpg s​

Holy crap, it's been a while since I've played this type of an RPG, but the character build choices are a handful. I recently picked up Kingmaker on sale because of the good ratings it got at Steam. I'm still trying to sort through all the online guide to determine what I want my main character to be.

I like BigHorse's post here:
https://steamcommunity.com/app/640820/discussions/0/1751232561613296349/?ctp=2

Here are the types of links I'm looking through:

Colstan

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2020
The Pathfinder system can be overwhelming at first, but I had an enjoyable time with an assassin build. While some of the mods suggested are out of date, this video guide should give you some useful ideas for such a character. The devs put in a number of excellent Kukris for Nok-Nok, which you can commandeer for your own purposes. I had great fun with it. Recommended.

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
The Pathfinder system can be overwhelming at first, but I had an enjoyable time with an assassin build. While some of the mods suggested are out of date, this video guide should give you some useful ideas for such a character. The devs put in a number of excellent Kukris for Nok-Nok, which you can commandeer for your own purposes. I had great fun with it. Recommended.
I finally just started playing it and put it on auto-level. I created a Paladin, which by reports seems safe, and in the beginning of the story, the party just seems to build by itself. I am not yet devoted to this games so I’ll see how it goes.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
If turn based is on, you control everyone, but if turn based is turned off, will party members act on their own, anyone know?

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
I never finished Kingmaker (lost motivation), currently playing Wrath of the Righteous. I mean, it’s a decent game and it does fill that isometric RPG nostalgia, but it also feels like something from the early 90ties. Builds instead of character development, arbitrary mechanics, boring encounters, awful action economy… I mean, my feelings about the game are summarized by what kind of information you find about character builds on. Serious forums “take alignment A so that you can take one dip of X at lvl 5, pick feat chain X and then 70 hours after the game starts you get this particular weapon following this particular quest spoiler, abs then your build really works if you don’t forget to use these three spells before each fight”. Ugh…

Currently, the only really competent makers in this are IMO are Larian. Their humor and stories are not everyone’s taste of course, but the game design is great and encounters feel like rewarding tactical puzzles rather than usual mindless “oh, that’s another random spider in the tunnel” thing.

Colstan

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2020
I never finished Kingmaker (lost motivation), currently playing Wrath of the Righteous. I mean, it’s a decent game and it does fill that isometric RPG nostalgia, but it also feels like something from the early 90ties. Builds instead of character development, arbitrary mechanics, boring encounters, awful action economy…
I did finish Kingmaker, and enjoyed it, for the most part. It does have its flaws. I turned off "kingdom management" from the start. I've always hated stronghold quests, dating all the way back to BG2, so that was a no brainer. I think the Pathfinder system doesn't adapt as well to a CRPG, without simplification, which Owlcat did not do. I did enjoy the story and companions, for the most part, even if the mechanics can sometimes get in the way.

currently playing Wrath of the Righteous
I haven't played Wrath, as of yet. That's because the game isn't finished and getting massive patches. I typically wait a good year or two after a game is released, because I want a finished product, plus the price is significantly reduced, which is a bonus.

Currently, the only really competent makers in this are IMO are Larian.
This is just my opinion, but I consider Larian to be the current gold standard in RPGs. I enjoyed DOS2 more than anything that Bioware, Black Isle or Obsidian released, which is a high standard, because they made some great classic games. That's why BG3 is the game I'm looking forward to the most, and it doesn't hurt that it will showcase the Mac's full potential as a gaming platform, as well.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
This is just my opinion, but I consider Larian to be the current gold standard in RPGs. I enjoyed DOS2 more than anything that Bioware, Black Isle or Obsidian released, which is a high standard, because they made some great classic games. That's why BG3 is the game I'm looking forward to the most, and it doesn't hurt that it will showcase the Mac's full potential as a gaming platform, as well.

I agree. IMO the golden age of RPGs died with Troika games (and despite their many bugs and flaws, I immensely enjoyed Arcanum and Vampires: Bloodlines). Obsidian should have carried on the legacy of Black Isle Studios, but my favourite title of theirs still is Knights of the Old Republic, and I din't like their later games much. It's like they are all missing something essential that I can't quite define. Tyranny was interesting but IMO lacking. Pillars enjoyed a lot of success, but duh, I didn't find much interesting with that game, it really felt that they just wanted to go retro to satisfy the nostalgic fanbase of middle-aged nerds who grew up on Fallout (which funnily enough would include me, but dunno, I guess my tastes evolved :D ). Outer Worlds... very pretty, but also very bland.

And who else was there in recent RPG game? OwlCat do a good job but there is no creativity there, no story, they basically focus on making engines for things Paizo publishes. And then of course there is Bethesda... ugh, don't get me started.

Colstan

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2020
I agree. IMO the golden age of RPGs died with Troika games (and despite their many bugs and flaws, I immensely enjoyed Arcanum and Vampires: Bloodlines).
Arcanum and Bloodlines were excellent, bugs and all. I was sad to find out that Bloodlines 2 would be Windows only, until it collapsed under its own weight. I question whether it will ever be released, or be any good, because they fired the original writer who wrote Bloodlines. I believe it was scheduled for release last December. Now, it's roasting in development hell.

Pillars enjoyed a lot of success, but duh, I didn't find much interesting with that game, it really felt that they just wanted to go retro to satisfy the nostalgic fanbase of middle-aged nerds who grew up on Fallout (which funnily enough would include me, but dunno, I guess my tastes evolved :D ).
Seeing how most of the folks who worked on Pillars were responsible for Icewind Dale, not Fallout, it doesn't surprise me that they went for the nostalgia vibe with Pillars, because that's what they knew best and could have success with. The ice castle in Pillars was an homage to IWD.

And who else was there in recent RPG game?
I know almost nothing about this game or its development, but Black Geyser: Couriers of Darkness is a new CRPG, with similar game mechanics to BG/IWD, but from a team I have never heard of. It's at least worth keeping on eye on, the game is still in "early access", but seems to be well received among those who have tried it.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
I've uninstalled this game. Turn based combat is so tedious and anti-immersive. I think I'm just in a mood. ?

Pathfinder is real-time by default, but their problem is encounter design and extremely repetitive combat. Also, too much micromanagement and unnecessary running around. I think turn based can be engaging and fun, but there has to be some tactical depth which pathfinder games simply don’t offer. It’s all about builds and buffs which IMO is the worst way to build an RPG.

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Pathfinder is real-time by default, but their problem is encounter design and extremely repetitive combat. Also, too much micromanagement and unnecessary running around. I think turn based can be engaging and fun, but there has to be some tactical depth which pathfinder games simply don’t offer. It’s all about builds and buffs which IMO is the worst way to build an RPG.
I tried to find the setting for this, but I never saw a situation where combat flowed smoothly and you can move your character at will and attack at will. Arent you still locked into D&D turn based logic? (Take a step, one attack if close enough)

That’s all based on a dice based board game where there has to be turns and in a board game combat that seems reasonable. But in a video game if feels oppressive.

My impression, but I could be mistaken, in Pathfinder that the difference between real-time and turn based was in real time, each party member does their own thing but within D&D combat rules (1 step, 1 attack) and turns?

There was another game I played that was turn based, trying to remember the name, fizzled out on that too, but it did not seem that it was as restrictive as this was.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.