Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darcyf

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 25, 2011
Toronto, ON
Say for example I choose to walk rather than drive to the grocery store to grab a few things. I would start the walk workout and get to briskly stepping, then when I arrive at the grocery store I could either end the workout then start a new one when I leave, or pause and then resume when I start my way back home. Which would you choose?

Then there’s taking breaks in the middle of a workout: I use a rowing machine and will take a ~30 second break here and there just to grab a drink of water. I don’t pause the workout for these but should I? How long would a break have to last for you to pause vs let the workout timer keep running?

How do you tend to manage the decision between pausing, continuing, and ending?

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
I never pause my workouts. Not for water breaks at gym or for going to the grocery store just as you do.If I am done a workout I just end it and start again when I start a fresh workout. My wife and I walk every night and we may stop to window browse but never pause our walk workout.

We tend to go by distance rather than time.

Reactions: artfossil

darcyf

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 25, 2011
Toronto, ON
I never pause my workouts. Not for water breaks at gym or for going to the grocery store just as you do.If I am done a workout I just end it and start again when I start a fresh workout. My wife and I walk every night and we may stop to window browse but never pause our walk workout.

We tend to go by distance rather than time.
That’s good to know! I always have this nagging feeling like I’m cheating or something if I stop on a walk to look up in the trees for the bird I hear chirping and don’t pause first lol

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I pause and resume. I want to know how long I was actually working out, especially if it’s a run and I want to know the pace. Even a few 30 sec pauses at crosswalks can dramatically change the overall pace. As for starting a new workout, I’d only do that if there were a pretty lengthy break in the middle, like more than a few minutes.

darcyf

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 25, 2011
Toronto, ON
I pause and resume. I want to know how long I was actually working out, especially if it’s a run and I want to know the pace. Even a few 30 sec pauses at crosswalks can dramatically change the overall pace. As for starting a new workout, I’d only do that if there were a pretty lengthy break in the middle, like more than a few minutes.
Yeah that’s how I’ve been thinking of it for walks (getting into running this spring) but figured since on the rower it’s not tracking anything other than heart rate and cals (rower tracks my actual rowing progress and auto pauses when the rowing stops) then having to pause for a water break wasn’t as important. Pace on a walk/run makes me think I should continue pausing in those cases.

darcyf

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 25, 2011
Toronto, ON
For the outdoor walk, I would pause it if I stopped because GPS tracks pace and distance. I have a Concept rower at home and work out doing intervals. I do not pause the watch during those one-minute rests.
I have a concept 2 as well (love it) and glad to hear I’m not alone in my approach to not pausing there.

Reactions: Aspasia

darcyf

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 25, 2011
Toronto, ON
I would say you shouldn’t pause on a run. It is a bit like cheating on your pace.

Good point, I’ll keep that in mind when I take running up this spring. Any situation when you would pause when running? Starting to wonder what the point of this pause button really is ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.