Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Erich96

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2024
I have two iphones, one I am using fpr critical apps, such as home banking and one for wa, navigation and so on. The one for non critical things has a contract pay as you go, i.e. I pay for the traffic. Now I have seen that I am consuming a lot of money even if I do not use any app. It seems that the iphone continues to call back home as soon as I activate the data option, which I use for navigation.
My question therefore : Can I configure the iphone in a way that I have navigation active, but do not consume my credit for the iphone sending statistics to Apple ? Or can I not use the iphone at all for navigation on prepaid cards, since apple consumes my credit for copying my data from the iphone on their site.
Thx a lot
Kindest regards

canuckRus

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2014
I have two iphones, one I am using fpr critical apps, such as home banking and one for wa, navigation and so on. The one for non critical things has a contract pay as you go, i.e. I pay for the traffic. Now I have seen that I am consuming a lot of money even if I do not use any app. It seems that the iphone continues to call back home as soon as I activate the data option, which I use for navigation.
My question therefore : Can I configure the iphone in a way that I have navigation active, but do not consume my credit for the iphone sending statistics to Apple ? Or can I not use the iphone at all for navigation on prepaid cards, since apple consumes my credit for copying my data from the iphone on their site.
Thx a lot
Kindest regards
You have Apple Analytics turned on perhaps? If so why?

Last edited:

Erich96

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2024
Thank you very much, I did not know about it, at least I do not remember. Anyway I noticed that it's turned off, i.e. "Share iPhone Analytics" is off. This means, the iPhone does not send home nothing? Analytics Data there is plenty, and seems it is not possible to erase this garbage.

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
I guess it’s a different app. Did u check settings>mobile data?

Here u have a list off apps with given consumed data. You can reset the statistics at bottom to get a new overview

Erich96

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2024
I do not find mobile data in settings. (I have iPhone 6S Plus with 15.8.2.)

ipaqrat

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2017
For navigation very specifically, you might conserve data consumption by downloading the travel region maps in advance on wifi, rather than streaming the street maps in real time using mobile data. Google Maps has offered this for a while, and I heard Apple Maps would too, if it not already.

Run down your entire list of apps, allowing background mobile data only for meaningful functions in the background, such as such as maps, mail, messages, findmy. Most apps don't provide YOU any meaningful benefit consuming data in the background. Apple Analytics should just be shut off anyway.

Reactions: Jackbequickly

Erich96

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2024
I had a look under Cellular, but I do not have mine, I have at the beginning Cellular Data, but this is only on-off. Mobile Data is not available, maybe I dis-activated it with another switch ?

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
I had a look under Cellular, but I do not have mine, I have at the beginning Cellular Data, but this is only on-off. Mobile Data is not available, maybe I dis-activated it with another switch ?
I think it’s available in ios15. On top is the sim and hotspot. You have to scroll down

IMG_8726.png

Last edited:

Erich96

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2024
This is what I have on my iphone. Seems different from what you describe above.

Erich96

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2024
Thank you very much, now it is clear to me, where I can see the data my iphone is consuming.
Concluding therefore, when I have switched on data traffic on my iphone the applications plus the system is transferring data. If I want to limit data transfer of the system itself the only option I have is to close all mobile data.

ipaqrat

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2017
Pardon my lack of clarity. I realize that mixed "Cellular data" and "Background App Refresh" together. Background App Refresh a separate set of switches. You could enable mobile data for an app, but block that app from running - and using data - unless it is on screen being used.

Erich96

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2024
I confess, I do not understand anymore nothing .... my initial doubt was:
Can I configure the iphone in a way that I have navigation active, but do not consume my credit for the iphone sending statistics to Apple ?
So, answer was I can switch of statistics. But now I wonder can I suppress at all conversation of my iphone with apple when mobile data is switches on for others purposes such as navigation ? Or am i obliged to pay for the conversation of my iphone with apple, only because I need mobile data for an app.
Thank you very much for your answers and thank you a bunch for your patience with a unix man like me who does not have experience with the apple world ....

Regulus67

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2023
Värmland, Sweden
I use Sygic and download the map for offline use. But it seems it is only offering subscriptions now?
I purchased the app September 2019, with a lifetime Premium license for my iPhone 6s. (not Premium+)

gps-navigation-1.png

Last edited:

Regulus67

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2023
Värmland, Sweden
Or am i obliged to pay for the conversation of my iphone with apple, only because I need mobile data for an app.
Thank you very much for your answers and thank you a bunch for your patience with a unix man like me who does not have experience with the apple world ....
Here is how I set up Sygic on my iPhone 7+

IMG_2056.jpeg
IMG_2055.jpeg

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
So, answer was I can switch of statistics. But now I wonder can I suppress at all conversation of my iphone with apple when mobile data is switches on for others purposes such as navigation ? Or am i obliged to pay for the conversation of my iphone with apple, only because I need mobile data for an app.

Hmm, I know you can use separate Apple ID for iCloud and App Store.

Have you tried signing out of iCloud and just keeping the login for App Store only? I think most of the System Services stuff is related to iCloud syncing.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I do not use iCloud on this phone.

Then I expect you’re already down to the minimum you could use.

Are you paying per MB? Have you checked if going with a low data promo (100MB-1GB) might be cheaper than pay per use with your current usage?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.