Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hardy1989

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 26, 2014
Picking up an X tomorrow, are people just handing back their current IUP handset or paying it off and selling? I have a 7 256gb and not sure what to do.

omizzle

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2009
How much do you still owe on it (how many payments have you made)? What's your payment? That will be important in making a decision.

TrainFromUkraine

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2016
Bluegrass State
Looked over recently sold listings on Swappa and it looks like a median price for a 128GB at&t version is around $520 If you owe significantly less then $500 then I'd pay it off and sell it, but do it quickly.

stulaw11

Suspended
Jan 25, 2012
Looked over recently sold listings on Swappa and it looks like a median price for a 128GB at&t version is around $520 If you owe significantly less then $500 then I'd pay it off and sell it, but do it quickly.

Just remember Swappa fees are $20, paypal fees are 2.9% plus $.30, so figure $16 roughly, and $10 to ship plus adequate insurance. You're down $46 off the rip.

I agree, the average ATT 128gb plus is down a LOT in the past few days and Swappa is flooded driving prices down.

I too am seeing the average about $525 right now in the sold prices (anyone can list for any amount, they aren't selling at $600+).

So unless you owe significantly less than $460-475 it's not worth it; which would be odd after only 12-13 payments on $850.

omizzle

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2009
Just remember Swappa fees are $20, PayPal fees are 2.9% plus $.30, so figure $16 roughly, and $10 to ship plus adequate insurance. You're down $46 off the rip.

I agree, the average ATT 128gb plus is down a LOT in the past few days and Swappa is flooded driving prices down.

I too am seeing the average about $525 right now in the sold prices (anyone can list for any amount, they aren't selling at $600+).

So unless you owe significantly less than $460-475 it's not worth it; which would be odd after only 12-13 payments on $850.

As a seller on Swappa, is there anything to protect you against a buyer who claims they received an empty box? I'm assuming PayPal would just refund the money to the buyer- then they'd have their money and my phone...

Hardy1989

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 26, 2014
How much do you still owe on it (how many payments have you made)? What's your payment? That will be important in making a decision.

I got the 7 the day it was released in the uk which was 22nd September I think. Unsure what I owe I’ll check at Apple tomorrow, I’m guessing I’ve made 13 payments

omizzle

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2009
I got the 7 the day it was released in the uk which was 22nd September I think. Unsure what I owe I’ll check at Apple tomorrow, I’m guessing I’ve made 13 payments

Got it. What I would do is see what it is worth (i.e. what you could sell it for) vs. how much you'd have to pay to buy it. If you can sell it for more than you'd have to pay to buy it, I'd do that. Otherwise, just trade it in (which would be the simplest option).

stulaw11

Suspended
Jan 25, 2012
As a seller on Swappa, is there anything to protect you against a buyer who claims they received an empty box? I'm assuming PayPal would just refund the money to the buyer- then they'd have their money and my phone...

None, paypal calls the shots as they handle the money, just like ebay. Swappa has a better class of buyers overall, but the risk is still there no matter what anyone says. Google swappa scams by buyers, theyre all over the net.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.