Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fwmireault

Contributor
Original poster
Jul 4, 2019
Montréal, Canada
Good morning,

As I saw some deleted threads this morning, I wanted to raise awareness on the lack of transparency and space for discussion from the moderation team. I won't name a specific example as it is against the forum rules, but I think many of us noticed the same thing.

I think we should be allowed to pay tribute to outstanding users (or former users) of this forum. Some of them are long time contributors and deserve to be recognized. I find hard to believe that such threads are breaking any forum rule.

I think there is a larger discussion to have on forum rules enforcement, and the little space there is for debate, appeal, or discussion on a specific moderation decision (even in private). I find that disappointing and irritating honestly.

Brad7

Cancelled
May 3, 2022
Good morning,

As I saw some deleted threads this morning, I wanted to raise awareness on the lack of transparency and space for discussion from the moderation team. I won't name a specific example as it is against the forum rules, but I think many of us noticed the same thing.

I think we should be allowed to pay tribute to outstanding users (or former users) of this forum. Some of them are long time contributors and deserve to be recognized. I find hard to believe that such threads are breaking any forum rule.

I think there is a larger discussion to have on forum rules enforcement, and the little space there is for debate, appeal, or discussion on a specific moderation decision (even in private). I find that disappointing and irritating honestly.
I agree. These forums have become too authoritarian. I used to like MacRumors, but not anymore.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I agree. These forums have become too authoritarian. I used to like MacRumors, but not anymore.
I never thought that I would find myself writing this (let alone thinking this), but, to my mind, better this - a degree of tight control exercised, - if occasionally with excessive enthusiasm - than the toxic free-for-all insanity found in some corners of the online world.

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
I think we should be allowed to pay tribute to outstanding users (or former users) of this forum.

I wonder, is "recognition" is your real intent or do you just want to virtue signal about a moderation choice that you don't agree with?

Yes but when you hold them accountable they’ll have to justify their actions and they can’t and won’t.

LOL, just the thought that you could "hold accountable" the staff of a privately held company is laughable. When you sign up here you agree to a set of rules, if you break those rules you experience differing levels of moderation, up to and including "perma-ban".

I've been mod'd before in ways that I didn't agree with but in the end it is their site, their rules. If you don't like them or find them too restrictive for your tastes the internet is a large place.

In this situation, your only way to hold anyone accountable is with your presence here and/or if you are a contributor.

That’s why people just silently disappear off of here.

People don't just disappear, they break rules, experience an escalating scale of moderation which can lead to "disappearing". You are not entitled to that members moderation history or any explanation as to why they are suspended.

The moderation team can’t justify their actions and don’t have to currently. They can just do what they want with impunity.

Yes, the mods and the site ownership can act with impunity, they own the site. Again, if you find this place to be too restrictive for your tastes then teh 1nt4rw3bz be vast matey.

You are of course entitled to your opinion but, I feel as if a great weight of meaningless background noise has been missing from these forums of late and I like it.

fwmireault

Contributor
Original poster
Jul 4, 2019
Montréal, Canada
I wonder, is "recognition" is your real intent or do you just want to virtue signal about a moderation choice that you don't agree with?
Well I do disagree with this specific moderation choice, but my personal opinion is not the main point of this thread. It’s about giving us the option to discuss a specific decision, or at the very least get a justification from the mods. In the specific example I have in mind, I’m pretty sure that no forum rule has been violated. So yes I think we are in the right to raise questions and expect more than just deleting the thread.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

LOL, just the thought that you could "hold accountable" the staff of a privately held company is laughable. When you sign up here you agree to a set of rules, if you break those rules you experience differing levels of moderation, up to and including "perma-ban".

I've been mod'd before in ways that I didn't agree with but in the end it is their site, their rules. If you don't like them or find them too restrictive for your tastes the internet is a large place.

In this situation, your only way to hold anyone accountable is with your presence here and/or if you are a contributor.

People don't just disappear, they break rules, experience an escalating scale of moderation which can lead to "disappearing". You are not entitled to that members moderation history or any explanation as to why they are suspended.

Yes, the mods and the site ownership can act with impunity, they own the site. Again, if you find this place to be too restrictive for your tastes then teh 1nt4rw3bz be vast matey.

You are of course entitled to your opinion but, I feel as if a great weight of meaningless background noise has been missing from these forums of late and I like it.
Bravo.

Very well said, and very elegantly expressed.

floral

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2023
Earth
I found it really hard to talk about a member I respected because it was linked to their ban incident. No matter which way I tried to reword my statement of "I like this member and wish they returned", it seemed to break a policy in one way or another.

The rules regarding specific members are valuable, but also overboard, because they can cover basically anything related to one member... even if you want to compliment them and repay them the contributions that they paid you out of generosity. :/

In a similar way to one of the previous threads, I support this rule change.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
It’s fine for any forum member to start a thread — in the Community Discussion forum — to give kudos to forum members they appreciate and invite others to do the same. If the thread goes off-topic into discussions of moderation, or if it becomes clear that the thread was created for that purpose, then the thread will have to be moderated or closed.

Discussion of the moderation of a specific forum member is not allowed because it so frequently involves misinformation, sometimes spread by the members involved, and without the real facts being sharable. There is an exception if a user waives their right to moderation privacy, using the Contact form, and allows their complete history of moderation to be shared publicly.

See the FAQs for details.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.