Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Original poster
Feb 18, 2009
TL;DR: I can't get Apple Pay to work on macOS Catalina with Safari 15.2. All payments fail with "Payment not completed" on the Mac and Apple Pay works fine on my other devices with the same CCs. Looking for help trying to determine what's up here.

Longer story:

On macOS I have two CC's set up in Apple Pay as neither of them are working for payments in Safari 15.2. When I attempt payments I consistently get "Payment not completed". I've tried purchases on three different actual merchant websites (one of them being store.apple.com) and they all behave like this from the Mac. I'm at my wits end trying to figure out what's going on here as there's not a lot of leads in the Google-Verse, and diagnostics on the Mac itself seem to be absent (or hidden really well). Anyone have any thoughts on this?

I've been using Apple Pay regularly for ages on iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, and Mac without issue. I've used it on this very system as recently as a few weeks ago during the holidays. I'm baffled by what could be the issue here.

Some details of the environment and things I've tried:
  • macOS Catalina 10.15.7 / Safari 15.2 on a 2019 MBP, signed into an iCloud account I've had for eons.
  • Two different CCs configured in Apple Pay on all devices. Removed them both from all devices (iPhone/iPad/Watch/macOS) and have re-added them to iPhone, iPad and Mac. The CCs re-added fine but payments still error out with "not completed" on Mac. I ultimately used Safari on the iPad to successfully complete the purchase at store.apple.com with Apple Pay. So it doesn't seem to be a general issue with my Apple ID at least.
  • Rebooted the Mac ad nauseum; wiped Safari caches ad nauseum; all to no avail
  • Tried poking around in the Console app for logs but came up empty since I don't know what I should be looking for there.
I even tried Apple's own Apple Pay demo site ( https://applepaydemo.apple.com ) and get the same Payment Not Completed result there.

I'm wondering if this may be some Safari 15.2 issue, perhaps specific to Catalina. A quick Internet search in this respect doesn't seem to yield any significant hits though. ¯\(ツ)/¯

Any help will be appreciated here. Thanks.

Attachments

• payment-not-completed.jpg
    payment-not-completed.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 270

Cancelled
Original poster
Feb 18, 2009
I poked around a bit in Console.app in the "Payment" category, specifically the com.apple.passkit subsystem. I found a little bit more info but it's mostly gibberish and basically lands me at a dead-end cuz although computer work does pay my bills, I am not an Apple developer and I'm missing some necessary insight to be able to bring this troubleshooting further. I'd like to think Apple Support could help but somehow I think their front-line defenses are even less informed. ¯\(ツ)/¯

When a payment is attempted with Apple Pay an HTTPS request in the form of a POST is made out to an payment services host in the apple.com domain. This is done by the particular framework noted in the screenshot. The URL is quite exotic and the payload of the POST even more so -- to mortal, uninformed eyes such as my own it's largely gibberish. What's annoying, though, is the response: it's a 500 status code with characteristically zero information as to what the actual error is.

Anyone else on Catalina with Safari 15.2 experiencing issues paying with a CC you have linked to Apple Pay on your Mac? I doubt it but worth asking. :). Thanks.

1642388700097.jpeg

Cancelled
Original poster
Feb 18, 2009
Safari 15.3 beta on Catalina didn't work out either. Same "Payment not completed" results.

I ultimately kicked Catalina to the curb and clean-installed Monterey on this system. Apple Pay is behaving once again. 🤘🏼

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.