Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

InvertedGoldfish

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 28, 2023
Hey all

Not sure where to post this, but I have a feeling someone here knows the answer

For a long time I used a PayPal debit card, it connected to my normal bank account and always had a zero balance, I’d swipe the PayPal card and it would just take the money from my normal bank account

This was great, I got a few percent back, I got a email the second it was used, and it acted as a proxy between my real bank info and the merchant

We’ll even after over a decade paypal decided to stop this functionality, now I’d have to manually transfer money into PayPal to use the card, for many reasons this isn’t something I want to do

Are there any other cards that function like the PayPal card used to?

Thanks

Chuckeee

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
I don’t really have an alternative for you, but I do think you’re well rid of PayPal.

I had an identity theft problem. Most businesses were sympathetic, and at least tried to be helpful. PayPal was one of the few businesses that was actually obstructive and antagonistic. This did not concern the loss of actual money, but the establishment of a fraudulent account.

Reactions: InvertedGoldfish

InvertedGoldfish

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 28, 2023
I don’t really have an alternative for you, but I do think you’re well rid of PayPal.

I had an identity theft problem. Most businesses were sympathetic, and at least tried to be helpful. PayPal was one of the few businesses that was actually obstructive and antagonistic. This did not concern the loss of actual money, but the establishment of a fraudulent account.

They will also shut down your account try to steal any money in the account if you buy or sell firearms, honestly I wasn’t a fan of my money having a political opinion of my life

BUTTTTT the proxy card was very useful

Merchantta

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2023
Yes, there are a few other cards that function like the PayPal card used to, where you can swipe the card and it will just take the money from your normal bank account. Here are a few examples:
  1. Venmo Card
  2. Cash App Card
  3. Chime Visa Debit Card
  4. SoFi Money Visa Debit Card

InvertedGoldfish

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 28, 2023
Yes, there are a few other cards that function like the PayPal card used to, where you can swipe the card and it will just take the money from your normal bank account. Here are a few examples:
  1. Venmo Card
  2. Cash App Card
  3. Chime Visa Debit Card
  4. SoFi Money Visa Debit Card
Venmo is no longer, they are part of PayPal and they adopted the same PayPal policy

Which of the others is the best?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.