Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
It's odd for the UK as this is the first time ever I seen sales of gift cards for less for what they are worth - it just doesn't happen like this in the UK!

It happens quite often, usually it's 20% off from supermarkets etc.

I tend to keep a £50 balance in my iTunes account, topped up with discounted card

KeithJenner

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2010
It happens quite often, usually it's 20% off from supermarkets etc.

I tend to keep a £50 balance in my iTunes account, topped up with discounted card

Absolutely. It's a few years since I last bought iTunes gift cards for less than 20% off.

It's especially good at the supermarkets. In Tesco, if you buy £100 you get 300 clubcard points (worth at least £6 if you double them up) plus 4p a litre off your fuel on top of any discount that they may offer. If you use cash back when buying from iTunes then it's pretty easy to get 35% off all your iTunes purchases.

For that reason, a 25% discount like this is actually not that attractive.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Managed to grab £100 earlier on, but now it seems like the page is buggered - ie on a PC doesn't work either!!

Worked fine on my iPad, and after payment you get a link that goes straight into iTunes do redeem the code that you received. I suppose it helps if you have PayPal payment set up before doing all this.

Now my wife can play Candy Crush up to level 2,500 or so!

----------

Can you use this on the App Store(s) ?

Yes. Music, videos, video rentals, ebooks, audiobooks, Mac apps, iOS apps. If you pay annually for iTunes Match or if you pay for extra iCloud storage, you also save 25%.

----------

It's odd for the UK as this is the first time ever I seen sales of gift cards for less for what they are worth - it just doesn't happen like this in the UK!

Argos and Boots do this from time to time (usually 20%). This is the second time that I got 25% off from PayPal. Now we always hear complaints about evil Apple taking 30% of all app purchases, but if I pay £100 worth of apps and music, PayPal receives £75, heaven knows what Apple gets but I would assume it's less than £75 because PayPal is not a charity _and_ has to pay bank charges, and the developers get £70, so that's not much to run the app store on.

----------

Even if you are in the UK just be careful and don't send a gift to anyone *outside* the UK. iTunes does not warn you and just lets you do it, and it's the beginning of a never ending nightmare.

Could you explain what the problem is?

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
I wouldn't bother at the moment as it's not working as of 18.15 BST. Spoke to PayPal and they say it should be back up and running later tonight.

praetorian909

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2004
Hmm not working for me, but I only have a USA billing address. (I use the iTunes UK store because they have some songs not in the US store).

Is it working for anyone right now? Or does anyone know if my USA address is causing it to fail? In the past I think I've just gotten UK gift cards from eBay.

captain cadet

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2012
Once one does it they all tend to follow. It's worth keeping an eye on hotukdeals.co.uk, though the anti apple bias of some members is annoying.

droiders :p every news place always gets filled with them and then calling us iSheep - by the way Although I'm Welsh I don't spend all my time with the sheep ;)

KeithJenner

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2010
Ah which supermarkets do it? I'll need to keep my eye open for them!

Keep an eye out around the sort of times that people are buying gifts (mothers day, fathers day etc). I think the last sale I saw was just before the school holidays started with the advertising saying about buying something for teachers.

There are usually good deals around Christmas as well.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
Absolutely. It's a few years since I last bought iTunes gift cards for less than 20% off.

It's especially good at the supermarkets. In Tesco, if you buy £100 you get 300 clubcard points (worth at least £6 if you double them up) plus 4p a litre off your fuel on top of any discount that they may offer. If you use cash back when buying from iTunes then it's pretty easy to get 35% off all your iTunes purchases.

The Tesco deals are the best. You can double up with the points you have accumulated. The last time I stocked up on iTunes cards they came at a 50% discount.

As said earlier, discounts are available almost always at about 20% off, either at supermarkets, Boots or via the online resellers.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
They had sold out when I went to buy one. I got one last time though.

Could have done with some with all the money I've spent in the past week alone on iTunes and App Store purchases.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.