Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VicMacs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 7, 2003
Dominican Republic
This is weird.

My pb will not turn on if there isnt something in the headphone jack, it can be a headphone, a cable or speakers... something has to be there or it just makes a weird noise where it should do the apple startup sound... something like 3 short quick clicks (like a stove when you turn on the sparks) and then it hangs showing no video or anything... just an idle spin of hte hd..

I tried it all, pmu, pram, shift, option, x,T, no batt, no extra ram, 45W and 65W power supply. no airport, no battery, muted, click , cd, you name it I treid it... I have another 12 inch and i tested both batteries and power suppies and they are equally functional

it boots normally with a headphone connected but if I take it out it stops booting and makes the click sounds or I can get it to hang if I take it out while the system is up and running... I just get an immediate screen turn-off and it stays there and nothing brings it back until I do a hard shut-down

I think the sound card is giving the problem but everything sounds fine throught the headphones.

anybody have any clue???

if you can drop me a line at vicmacs@gmail.com I would appreciate it... or through here...

plinkoman

macrumors 65816
Jul 2, 2003
New York
wow, i can't begin to imagine what would cause that.

do you have applecare? either way, i recommend contacting apple about this, maybe take it to a store if you have one near you and have a genius take a look at it.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
VicMacs, did you say you couldn't boot from the OSX disks? Try fsck if you haven't already. It probably won't get anywhere but it's worth a try.

I really think this is a job for AppleCarBoy and his crew of merry Geniuses™. :)

VicMacs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 7, 2003
Dominican Republic
I live outside the US... no apple store around... only resellers... applecare expired in october... I havent tried booting from a cd... how would that help...? the problem comes before any sort of system mounting and I dont think its software related... fsck.. what for? I'll try it I guess...

for now I will have to live with a broken headphone mini-jack tip stuck in there and no sound, oh I forgot to say... I can put it on sleep and it will let me pull the plug out... but if I go out of sleep it will need the plug back in ... or it will hang again... it just cant live without it!

I need help... :'(

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
To be honest, I've never heard of a soundcard doing this before. I thought it might have been a corrupt system or hard disk which is why I asked you to run fsck, but apparently it's not. It's sounding like an electrical (hardware) fault though, in which case it really is a job for an Apple certified technician. :eek:

plinkoman

macrumors 65816
Jul 2, 2003
New York
VicMacs said:
:(

arg... this is not good...my applecare is up...

call them anyways, maybe it's a quick fix that wont cost alot, or you can do yourself, in any case, it doesn't hurt to call and ask.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
If you boot up with something in the jack, does it then let you remove it and continue using the computer normally?

I immediately thought of something like maybe the logic board isn't aligned correctly, and pressure by inserting the headphones holds it in position...

Looks like you may have to crack it open. If you do, try disconnecting the audio cable and see if it boots.

VicMacs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 7, 2003
Dominican Republic
ITASOR said:
If you boot up with something in the jack, does it then let you remove it and continue using the computer normally?

I immediately thought of something like maybe the logic board isn't aligned correctly, and pressure by inserting the headphones holds it in position...

Looks like you may have to crack it open. If you do, try disconnecting the audio cable and see if it boots.

to answer the first question, no actually it is only while booting that it does not go immeadiately down.. it can stay 5 seconds just spinning the little line-circle.. then zap...

a little history on this pb... it was dropped from a 3 feet height, on its upper left corner (powercord) and it was bulging out... but working fine, so I had it replaced with one from ebay.. same model and everything... brand new ...the whole bit cost me 300 bucks... :( that implied a complete insides transplant, mobo and everything else... but that was in march 05 and it has never stopped working brilliantly... so thats its morbid history....

now the events leading up to this event were, a 24 sleep period without power, and a usb-powered cooling base connected but turned off... a 1-2 second wake-up period and then just zap, I dont know if the battery was drained... but I guess it must have had some power because otherwise it would not have turned on...

I've shaken it, punched it, whacked it while off of course... to see if its a false contact or something but no... it behaves the same... ive tried putting things on all the other holes but all the same... i will try and open it tomorrow to see if anything changes... I have opened it before when I wanted to replace the bottom case but I stopped when I realized I didnt have the thermale pads you need to reseat the processor... or something...

:/

Gokhan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2003
London
k

yeah you need to wipe off the old thermal paste on cpu and apply new paste thats all its pretty simple just go slowly and wear a anti-static strip you should be fine

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.