Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

al256

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2001
My PowerBook G4 DVD lens is dirty, with the PowerBook G4 cleaning the lens becomes quite a issue since the drive is completly internal. I would like to know if any has had to do this before. The reason that leads me to believe the lens is dirty and not a broken drive is that I recieve an error that states OS X can not read the disk, then I try to intallize it for the fun of it (PS this is a REV A tibook) it can read the size of the disk but not the disk. That's why I believe the lens is dirty. Please any help at all would be welcomed.

alex_ant

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2002
All up in your bidness
Re: PB G4 DVD lens dirty

Originally posted by al256
My PowerBook G4 DVD lens is dirty, with the PowerBook G4 cleaning the lens becomes quite a issue since the drive is completly internal. I would like to know if any has had to do this before. The reason that leads me to believe the lens is dirty and not a broken drive is that I recieve an error that states OS X can not read the disk, then I try to intallize it for the fun of it (PS this is a REV A tibook) it can read the size of the disk but not the disk. That's why I believe the lens is dirty. Please any help at all would be welcomed.
I really doubt this is a dirty lens problem. Try several different CDs, if you haven't already, in both OS 9 and OS X. It sounds more like the TOC area of the disc is scratched or defective. If the lens were dirty, it would not be able to read the size of the disc at all.

Alex

al256

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2001
I've tried 5 cds and 2 DVDs both in 9 and X. OS X is the only thing that can even see the CDs but that's only in Disk Utilities.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
You might want to pick up one of the disc cleaners from your local music or video store. Go with the wet type since you can apply the fluid to it and run it as much as you need to clean the drive.

This may not solve your problem, but it could be a fast solution. If it doesn't, then contact Apple and find out how they want you to proceed.

al256

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2001
Thank you for your help AlphaTech, and alex_ant. I bought a cd cleaner last night but I didn't go for the liquid kind. That didn't work either but I'll buy the liquid kind today.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.