Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ProphetX

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 8, 2011
I have a problem under the public beta. Its showing 146gb being taken up by "Other". I have absolutely nothing on this hdd aside from everything else that is accounted for under the storage tab.

Does anyone know what could be going on? Does anyone have a solution to this?

Thanks,

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-07-25 at 7.03.54 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-07-25 at 7.03.54 AM.png
    103.7 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:

suresh31

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2007
Pennsylvania
I have a problem under the public beta. Its showing 146gb being taken up by "Other". I have absolutely nothing on this hdd aside from everything else that is accounted for under the storage tab.

Does anyone know what could be going on? Does anyone have a solution to this?

Thanks,

I have same problem as yours. Approximately 40GB under "Others" .. I had 90GB free space left before upgrade, now down to 50GB. I tried re-indexing, still didn't resolve this issue.

If any one knows solution to this, pls help.

tmoerel

Suspended
Jan 24, 2008
This is not a problem and already happened under Mavericks.

Time Machine is storing local backup there and it looks like the space is used. When the space is needed though, the space will be freed up!

suresh31

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2007
Pennsylvania

Time Machine is storing local backup there and it looks like the space is used. When the space is needed though, the space will be freed up!

I didn't happen for me under Mavericks. I checked my hard drive before the upgrade, it showed 90GB available. I disabled my TM local backups too, still the space is not freed up.

ProphetX

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 8, 2011

I didn't have this problem under mavericks either. My time machine backups are stored on my drobo. This problem popped up between dp4 and pb1.

----------

I didn't happen for me under Mavericks. I checked my hard drive before the upgrade, it showed 90GB available. I disabled my TM local backups too, still the space is not freed up.

How do i disable TM local backups?

ProphetX

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 8, 2011
Does anyone know if i did a fresh install and restore from a time machine back up. Will it get me the rest of my storage back?

UncleSchnitty

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Does anyone know if i did a fresh install and restore from a time machine back up. Will it get me the rest of my storage back?

Did you try the terminal command above to turn off local storage and reboot? If it was that then you probably didn't notice in mavericks because it had a light purple color for "backups" also that number jumped up when you installed yosemite because it saw a major discrepancy in the os since your last backup (thats normal because the discrepancy is yosemite)

ProphetX

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 8, 2011
Ok guys i fixed it. By "fixed it" i mean i did a fresh install and restored from a time machine backup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.