Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Taco1933

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2014
EDIT - SOLVED: Just needed to read a bit more I guess. My apple products are capped at the 80mhz channel width. My PC is 160mhz. And there I thought all WiFi 6 was the same. Oh well. I guess my next Apple upgrades will give me 6e/160mhz and match the PC's performance.

I just got a TP Link Deco XE75 Pro mesh system, and I've been messing around with speed tests just to see how things stack up with my prior router. I got a big jump with all my apple products to what I assumed was the maximum of my capabilities with my internet speed of ~750 Mbps over WiFi. Out of curiosity, I checked my work PC, a Lenovo T14, and it nearly hit 1Gbps. It was over the 940Mbps my ISP claims. Since then, I've been doing side by side comparisons, and the 200Mbps gap between M1 MacBook Air and PC has been consistent. Just now my PC was 759 down/487 up while my Mac was 476 down/231 up, both using chrome browser on WiFi 6 on the 5ghz band and same node. My iPhone stays in the same ballpark as my Mac.

I'm getting over 100Mbps pretty much everywhere now with my Apple stuff, so it isn't really a problem that needs solving. I was just kinda curious if there was a simple explanation (or fix) for that measurement the gap.

Last edited:

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
Apple is slightly slower but maintains supreme stability, data transit integrity, and security. As you say, it's not really a problem and so the aforementioned benefits make the Apple solution best-in-class.

Reactions: Taco1933

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
Apple is slightly slower but maintains supreme stability, data transit integrity, and security. As you say, it's not really a problem and so the aforementioned benefits make the Apple solution best-in-class.

Is that why the majority of professionals left Mac for Nvidia workstations?

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
Is that why the majority of professionals left Mac for Nvidia workstations?

Where is that claim evidenced?

Those that did what you say are probably regretting it given what Nvidia are doing with their GPUs - gimping new models, jacking up prices hugely, and generally focusing on selling their cards into the AI market.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
Where is that claim evidenced?

Those that did what you say are probably regretting it given what Nvidia are doing with their GPUs - gimping new models, jacking up prices hugely, and generally focusing on selling their cards into the AI market.

Yeah about that...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.