Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fivetides

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2005
Cleveland
I have my PC and my Mac networked (sort of) via a D-link wireless router. I honestly don't even know how I did this but somehow I got them to talk to each other. Anyway my problem is this: I can connect to my PC through my mac anytime no problem, but when I want to access my Mac through my PC, I have to go through an elaborate process of bringing up the PC on my Mac trying to copy a file onto the PC and getting denied access, then going back to the PC where I can now access my Mac. It really sucks going through this every time so if anyone can help I would appreciate it.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
I am not sure I understand. So you have to try to copy a file (Mac --> PC) to get access denied and that makes it possible for (PC --> Mac) to work when it didn't work before you got the access denied message. Also connecting works (Mac --> PC) fine without having to do anything elaborate.

Connecting (Mac --> PC) works for viewing files only? My setup worked fine when I made sure I was on the same wireless network, and opened up a port on the PC firewall, and started up Windows Sharing on the Mac side.

Also just a word of warning. People freak out when they see MAC or Apple (When refering to a Mac) instead of Mac. It might even be confusing for some networking folks since MAC means something different.

Fivetides

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2005
Cleveland
BornAgainMac said:
I am not sure I understand. So you have to try to copy a file (Mac --> PC) to get access denied and that makes it possible for (PC --> Mac) to work when it didn't work before you got the access denied message. Also connecting works (Mac --> PC) fine without having to do anything elaborate.

Connecting (Mac --> PC) works for viewing files only? My setup worked fine when I made sure I was on the same wireless network, and opened up a port on the PC firewall, and started up Windows Sharing on the Mac side.

Also just a word of warning. People freak out when they see MAC or Apple (When refering to a Mac) instead of Mac. It might even be confusing for some networking folks since MAC means something different.

You have it mostly right, I'm sorry I wasn't more clear. Connecting Mac to PC works when I want to copy a file from the PC to the Mac, but if I try to do it the other way around it won't ever work. The only way that I can copy a file to my PC is to log onto my Mac as a network drive from the PC. But it will only allow me to connect as a network drive after I went through the whole access denied thing trying to copy a file to the PC from a Mac. And thanks for the tip on Mac terminology, I just became a convert.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.