Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seitsme

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2017
-
hello,

About 3 months ago, i said goodbye to my last ELCAP 10.x ppc and bought a secondhand win 7 64b laptop.
On my mac at that time, i used a program, cannot remember which though, maybe macpar ? to split a 4GB file into 4 pieces, to be joined after I transfered it to my laptop.

The program gave 5 files as output. file.zip.aa, file.zip.bb, file.zip.bc, file.zip.bd, file.zip.be

Today, i tried to join these files on my windows, with winrar, 7zip and i get an error that files cannot be joined as archive is unknown format.

I downloaded some Unix-to-dos commands such as cat, split commands which i executed on dos prompt and joined the files but the final file does not unzip with similar error.

Alternatively, i installed backtrack as i am newbie in linux, and tried to work a cat command on prompt. Joined files and tried to unzip it and does not work.

I believe it might be incompatibility from the program that created these on mac.

Does anybody had similar problem and the solution to it please ?
Any clues what program i used that time, with ability to give out .aa, .ab split files.

Any advise, what program i should try to get to be able to join and Unzip, most importantly,
these .xx files ?

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.