Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2019
uk
I just bought a computer on eBay and there is a question mark on Pc e simple com contrtroler and the SM Bus controler.
I have the qestion mark on my Windows on external drive with the PCi one.
I was unable to update them both on my PC or the external Windows one.
Windows update on the PC is all up to date so they say.
On the general details it says this device is not installed code 28.
There are no compatible drivers for this device.
I also went to the Intal site to download Intel chipset device ,downloaded it and it said Failure 0x004e24.This platform is not supported.
Device , Ven-8086&DEV-3B64&SUBSYS-04281028&REVREV-06 3&11583659&0&B0
The only ones that say they can find drivers are the dodge ones that put virese on the computer.
Will the computer still be able to work with out the two thing s the the excamation mark on them?
I had no idea that i would have any problems with it.I got in touch with the seller before i ask for a refund.I all so went to Dell sitet to check my hardware,it said it was taking lonthatr than exspectedit was stuck on the 87% on the DVD drive.I looked that up and that was the probblem .I disconected the DVD driver and did the check again everything on the Dell side is fine.I hope someone can help me on this It is all a pain having to send something back .:(

Last edited:

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2019
uk
Yes Dell OPLIPLEX. 3020SFF.It is the May 2020 edition .I went the Dell site and they did a full diagnostic the full one. Everything Passed.The first test was the quick one which took some time and stopped at 87% i saw that it was problem with the DVD drive when i looked on forums.So i disconnected it then it all passed.I am downloading the latest version of Windows October 2020.I am hoping it is Windows that is the problem.I did intend taking the DVD drive out and putting another SSD in there anyway.Plus i did want to put Linux on there.I have another old Dell 580 computer and took the SSD on of the 3020.It only shows PCI one on there i don,t see the SM bus one on there.I have been watching all those videos on youtube where there use the Dell,s for gaming. I never thought there would be any problems with them. But is it a big deal if the PCI simple con and the SM bus don,t work?I did want to put a graphics card in there of course. I will look at the link you gave me ,thanks anyway. :)

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2019
uk
I have been trying to get the two things working and just came up with this i clicked update driver for the PCI simple communications controler and this came up *No driver files are* required *or have been loaded for this device.Why is it on the computer if it is not needed?
I have found the SM BUS Controler it says installing this device driver is not recommended because Windows cannot verify that it is compatible with your hardware.If the driver is not compatible .your hardware will not work correctly and your computer might become unstable or stop working completely.?

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2019
uk
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.