Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alvin777

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 31, 2003
Hello Apple & Mac friends (& Windows friends for just gaming; Macs for productivity & serious, less malware free, productivity work :).

I'd like to upgrade the a relatively old but still good for it's office needs (& and old 3D games like WoW or Everquest from more than a decade ago w/ a 3TFLOP GPU) quad-core PC which has a 1.6 TFLOPs only GPU, less than 230GB files (hasn't filled the 320GB hardisk in almost 10 years, 250GB storage will suffice, gigabytes still of unneeded files can be deleted if one takes time to "spring clean" it) & 8GB RAM.

It has a free PCIe x1 slot and free SATA IIs. Which one is better and cost-effective:

1) Assuming a PCIe x4 card is compatible w/ a 1x, should I buy a US$1.6 no name brand PCIe x4 card/adapter for an M.2 SSD (I may be wrong, a PCIe x1 is 250MB/s in one lane + 250MB/s in the other lane= 500MB/s total?). Should it be an AHCI or NVME?

2) just buy a branded budget internal SATA SSD but since it's just SATA II, it'll only be 300MB/s 200MB/s less than no. 1)

Also which one brand should be bought (coz' it's office work, it has to be reliable for years) is know to have the least RMA (aka most durable and reliable) from customers: Kingston, Crucial, Samsung, Patriot, TeamGroup, Sandisk or another brand you can recommend (not sure about ADATA if that's on par with the aforementioned brands)? I'll buy that brand's budget model.

Thank you, have a very blessed rest of the year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.