Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Masher500

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2006
Dana Point
Hi all,

New guy here. I just bought a MBP in October, and i love it!!! in fact i love osx compaired to XP.. So now i am over my pc and all the probs i have with it, so i have decided to sell my pc so i can buy a MP and transfer every thing to mac. my question is this:

I still use Sony Vegas, and play BF2. Will a MP be a good desision, or should i just stick to a pc and my MBP?

Thanks!

Mydriasis

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2005
Well, you can always run XP under bootcamp if you need it for any programs.

But, yes of course get the MP! (what other answer could you possible expect in a mac forum ;) )

amtctt

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2006
i use a mac pro with the ati 1900 and it runs BF2 and 2142 great, everything maxed except i think only 2 or 4x aa on 2142. I love it. there are a couple things to keep in mind. First, there aren't any normal PCI slots on the mac pro, so no multi channel sound card options. You can get a USB xfi card on ebay though. 2nd, a lot of people will tell you, that if you are not using the mac pro's power for something other than gaming, meaning hardcore video/audio rendering/production, you can save a lot of money and get a better gaming rig by just building a pc. The Mac Pro is a work horse, it can power through games, but you can still get better gaming performance out of building a pc. Most games are still designed to run the best from single processor comps. I think XP only recognizes 2 processors of the mac pro anyway, so the 4 cores aren't utilized with games at all. Don't get me wrong, the mac pro is awesome and hasn't failed me yet, but with games like Crysis coming out utilizing Direct X-10, you might just consider building a rig. That's my 2 cents.

Masher500

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2006
Dana Point
i use a mac pro with the ati 1900 and it runs BF2 and 2142 great, everything maxed except i think only 2 or 4x aa on 2142. I love it. there are a couple things to keep in mind. First, there aren't any normal PCI slots on the mac pro, so no multi channel sound card options. You can get a USB xfi card on ebay though. 2nd, a lot of people will tell you, that if you are not using the mac pro's power for something other than gaming, meaning hardcore video/audio rendering/production, you can save a lot of money and get a better gaming rig by just building a pc. The Mac Pro is a work horse, it can power through games, but you can still get better gaming performance out of building a pc. Most games are still designed to run the best from single processor comps. I think XP only recognizes 2 processors of the mac pro anyway, so the 4 cores aren't utilized with games at all. Don't get me wrong, the mac pro is awesome and hasn't failed me yet, but with games like Crysis coming out utilizing Direct X-10, you might just consider building a rig. That's my 2 cents.

i edit video, so that would be my main use of the machine.. I am making the transition from Vegas to FCP. But i still want to have fun playing my games too.! Im just in limbo right now.

^squirrel^

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2006
England
Hi all,

New guy here. I just bought a MBP in October, and i love it!!! in fact i love osx compaired to XP.. So now i am over my pc and all the probs i have with it, so i have decided to sell my pc so i can buy a MP and transfer every thing to mac. my question is this:

I still use Sony Vegas, and play BF2. Will a MP be a good desision, or should i just stick to a pc and my MBP?

Thanks!

Hi good choice, i'm actually the other way around. (Currently own Macpro and want laptop now).

I also move from a PC in Oct'06 and it's wonderful! I am also a gamer and play BF2, BF2142, Counter Strike Source and Flight Sim X, the macpro is powerful enough to run everything apart from Flight Sim X at full rates. It's a great machine all round! I'm sure at some point they'll offer us a better GPU, but the X1900XT is fine for now.

All the best

Darren

amtctt

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2006
i edit video, so that would be my main use of the machine.. I am making the transition from Vegas to FCP. But i still want to have fun playing my games too.! Im just in limbo right now.

Then it sounds like the MP would be a great choice for you. It's a great machine, for sure.

Masher500

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2006
Dana Point
well if anyone wants a nice pc its for sale. Pentium D 3 gig with 250 gig sata,, 2gigs of ram. MSI 6800gs 256k, sli ready, and DVD+R opitcal drive. Sound Blaster Audigy sound card. and i'll throw in a key board. Antec Sonata 2 case.

man i almost would trade my MBP for your MP, i want one soo bad!

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
I think XP only recognizes 2 processors of the mac pro anyway, so the 4 cores aren't utilized with games at all. Don't get me wrong, the mac pro is awesome and hasn't failed me yet, but with games like Crysis coming out utilizing Direct X-10, you might just consider building a rig. That's my 2 cents.

XP Pro and Vista Ultimate will recognise all 4 cores of the Mac Pro. XP Home will NOT recognise all 4 cores, instead it will only see 2. This due to the way Microsoft licenses Windows and is nothing to do with the hardware.

amtctt

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2006
XP Pro and Vista Ultimate will recognise all 4 cores of the Mac Pro. XP Home will NOT recognise all 4 cores, instead it will only see 2. This due to the way Microsoft licenses Windows and is nothing to do with the hardware.

You're right. I remember that now. Either way, the games only utilize 1 core.

metsnyfan87

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2006

honestly i have no idea how you've been comfortably getting by editing on any pc. i'm lucky to have started young on fcp and avid on a mac. :D

Masher500

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2006
Dana Point
honestly i have no idea how you've been comfortably getting by editing on any pc. i'm lucky to have started young on fcp and avid on a mac. :D

to be honest i really like Vegas, the real time effects are powerful, and instant, no rendering at all. Unlike FCP (from what i learned so far) i have to render the time line to see the effect i have made. Also, Vegas text features are really easy to use and minipulate anywhere on the screen. (im having hell moving text around in FCP) But the software offered for mac is way better as far as what can be done. so i just gotta teach myself over again, but once i get the hang of it, it should be good.:D

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Since your using "Sony" Vegas to edit video, you will find a wealth of options with OS X. First you can still use Vegas either under boot camp or a VM. I haven't run Vegas, but I have ran Sound Forge that runs well in a VM. You can also look at video editing for OS X, iMovie, Final Cut Express, Pro, or the new Extreme that is supposed to be coming out. There are also a bunch of video editing suites by third parties like Avid and such.

I think you'll really enjoy using a MP for you editing.

metsnyfan87

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2006
to be honest i really like Vegas, the real time effects are powerful, and instant, no rendering at all. Unlike FCP (from what i learned so far) i have to render the time line to see the effect i have made. Also, Vegas text features are really easy to use and minipulate anywhere on the screen. (im having hell moving text around in FCP) But the software offered for mac is way better as far as what can be done. so i just gotta teach myself over again, but once i get the hang of it, it should be good.:D

I'm actually kinda curious, gonna just take a look at Vegas to see what it can do. When it comes to FCP, the more raw processing power you have (Mac Pro will give you tons of which), the more of your functions such as fades, filters, effects, etc. will be able to be previewed in real time w/o rendering. Text admittedly can be a little confusing/tricky at first but you'll get acclimated with it soon enough (2 little tips: LiveType, Boris Title3D).
if you go for the mac pro feel free to PM me with any fcp questions you have. happy buying

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Wait until a 8 core Mac Pro with ATI Radeon X2800 XT. Then buy it.

The only thing being said about an 8 core MP is a bunch of BS floating around. There have been no real indications that an 8 core MP is even in the works. Quite frankly I can't even see the use of an 8 core right now. the 4 cores are more then enough.

nazmac21

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2007
Digital World
The only thing being said about an 8 core MP is a bunch of BS floating around. There have been no real indications that an 8 core MP is even in the works. Quite frankly I can't even see the use of an 8 core right now. the 4 cores are more then enough.

8 core Mac Pro rumors are not crap, they will be reality someday. I would buy one if they are released (along with ATI Radeon X2800 XT and 50" Cinema Display).

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
8 core Mac Pro rumors are not crap, they will be reality someday. I would buy one if they are released (along with ATI Radeon X2800 XT and 50" Cinema Display).

So if all that came out today you would go and buy it would you? :rolleyes:

*cough* £6000 *cough*

nazmac21

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2007
Digital World
So if all that came out today you would go and buy it would you? :rolleyes:

*cough* £6000 *cough*

I don't think there would be a 50" Display but there might (hopefully). I think the 8 Core Mac Pro with ATI Radeon X2800 XT and 30" Cinema Display would cost $4000. I could afford and will buy it someday to record more of my friend rapping and actually publish it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.