Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
Currently using my 7,1 for the past few months and loving it. I spend most of my time in MacOS between work, audio production and some software development. I also boot into Windows for games, and replaced the Pro 580 GPU with an RX Vega 64.

The only thing lacking is storage. I spent a little extra on the CPU to get the 12-Core model, both for better multithreaded performance and faster 2933 MHz memory. So that left me with the 1TB SSD config. With some games these days like Red Dead Redemption 2 taking up 120GB+ on their own that isn't nearly good enough.

For now I've been using an external 3TB HDD I had lying around with USB-3. It's such a bottleneck on the rest of the system, even when I'm not using it. Irritating things like spotlight having to wait while it takes 5-8 seconds to spin up when idle! Might sound silly but with normal read/write perforce of over 2500MB/s and no latency it grinds my gears. Seek time and much lower bandwidth also mean long waiting times for some of the latest and greatest games.

I had been considering one of the internal HDD enclosures, but honestly I think I'd rather go with an all SSD solution using PCIE.

I've been looking at the OWC Accelsior and Sonnet M.2 PCIE cards.

1. Do people have recommendations between the two in terms of fan noise, cost, value?
  2. Probably looking for 4TB solution
  3. I do not need the fastest performance on earth, but if I'm going to any PCI-E RAID 0 config I'd like to get the best value to performance possible.
  4. If I get 4 1TB Samsung 970 M.2 cards and put them in RAID 0 as a single 4TB drive, will I be able to partition that into two drives? Ideally I'd like to use the full speed of RAID0 with an AFPS partition and an NTFS partition. Unclear if this is possible, wonder if I'll have to create two separate RAID drives from the 4 drives to dedicate one to each OS, meaning half (if still incredibly good) RAID 0 performance. Basically what's the most sensible RAID solution, if any, when I want a MacOS and Windows partition.

Last edited:

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
I beat red dead on a $250 ps4. Looked and ran amazing. Just sayin

Gonna be getting a PS5 when it comes out so should be able to catch up on some PS4 titles on my new 4K TV!

I still play some PC only titles, and own many PC games which could benefit from an SSD. Bottom line for both Windows and MacOS I'd like some more storage room without compromising latency and bandwidth. 1TB is just not big for a workstation in 2020.

dataid

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2020
USA
Currently using my 7,1 for the past few months and loving it. I spend most of my time in MacOS between work, audio production and some software development. I also boot into Windows for games, and replaced the Pro 580 GPU with an RX Vega 64.

The only thing lacking is storage. I spent a little extra on the CPU to get the 12-Core model, both for better multithreaded performance and faster 2933 MHz memory. So that left me with the 1TB SSD config. With some games these days like Red Dead Redemption 2 taking up 120GB+ on their own that isn't nearly good enough.

For now I've been using an external 3TB HDD I had lying around with USB-3. It's such a bottleneck on the rest of the system, even when I'm not using it. Irritating things like spotlight having to wait while it takes 5-8 seconds to spin up when idle! Might sound silly but with normal read/write perforce of over 2500MB/s and no latency it grinds my gears. Seek time and much lower bandwidth also mean long waiting times for some of the latest and greatest games.

I had been considering one of the internal HDD enclosures, but honestly I think I'd rather go with an all SSD solution using PCIE.

I've been looking at the OWC Accelsior and Sonnet M.2 PCIE cards.

1. Do people have recommendations between the two in terms of fan noise, cost, value?
  2. Probably looking for 4TB solution
  3. I do not need the fastest performance on earth, but if I'm going to any PCI-E RAID 0 config I'd like to get the best value to performance possible.
  4. If I get 4 1TB Samsung 970 M.2 cards and put them in RAID 0 as a single 4TB drive, will I be able to partition that into two drives? Ideally I'd like to use the full speed of RAID0 with an AFPS partition and an NTFS partition. Unclear if this is possible, wonder if I'll have to create two separate RAID drives from the 4 drives to dedicate one to each OS, meaning half (if still incredibly good) RAID 0 performance. Basically what's the most sensible RAID solution, if any, when I want a MacOS and Windows partition.
Sonnet Technologies now has a fanless M.2 PCIE card (Silent) in addition to their earlier version which had a fan.

LightBulbFun

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2013
London UK
  1. If I get 4 1TB Samsung 970 M.2 cards and put them in RAID 0 as a single 4TB drive, will I be able to partition that into two drives? Ideally I'd like to use the full speed of RAID0 with an AFPS partition and an NTFS partition. Unclear if this is possible, wonder if I'll have to create two separate RAID drives from the 4 drives to dedicate one to each OS, meaning half (if still incredibly good) RAID 0 performance. Basically what's the most sensible RAID solution, if any, when I want a MacOS and Windows partition.

I would not recommend a software raid really

id recommend you dedicate a drive to its own OS (rather then trying to share a single drive across multiple OS's)

id also use this opportunity to move windows itself to its own drive allowing you to dedicate the internal T2 attached SSD for OS X and avoid having multiple different file systems on one drive

(im pretty sure you can boot windows from a PCIe attached SSD)

Reactions: tevion5

LeonPro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
I was looking at both OWC and Sonnet cards due to the fan-less design, but the more I was looking the more I was being pointed to the Highpoint card which if I'm not mistaken is a hardware RAID. It has a fan which you can manage yourself - on, off, or various speed depending on which task you're doing.

Anyone with experience on this card?

LeonPro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
Scratch that. I've seen posts on here that experience issues with the card despite being the same chip set as Sonnet's.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.