Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

j0mpst0rt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2018
Hello, Call Me A Newbie...

I have owned my mac pro 2010 5.1 ATI Radeon HD5770, 2x2.66 6-core, 48GB, ram. for 8 years and it has just sat here faithfully and worked day in day out. Best decision I ever made in buying a computer.

I have noticed the fans are getting noisier and noisier, and decided to try see why, as I remember this early morning that I couldnt even here the computer when I bought it.

SO, I installed Macs Fan Control 1.4.10.

It shows PCI 800 - 0 - 4500. <-- Does this mean the fan doesnt work? has it failed ?

I checked temperatures. and things seem hotter than what I see on other peoples temperature sensor results:

1. IOH Diode which was sitting at 91 degree,
  2. DIMMS all around 50degree
  3. PCIE 1 and 2 (1 is 93-97, and 2 is 81). <-- I have 2 graphics 5770 but only one is being used running 2 1680x1050 screens (sounds small now).
  4. PSMI Supplies 49 or 53
  5. CPU A around 50 degree
  6. CPU B around 40 degree

I have i think 2 or 3 times cleared the dust out of the cage. I'll do it again this weekend.

At moment I have set the temperatures for exhaust and intake to be based on IOH Diode and that has pulled its temperature down to 81. PCIE is unaffected. And now the fans have gone quiet for the mo.

Any ideas on what I should do to fix the PCI not registering ?.

I need to upgrade my Mac as cheaply as possible too. so i can use perhaps a 4k screen and definitely 2 or 3 larger HD screens, (have faithful samsung 22" screens). I like to work with more screen area like 2 screens for remote access to work, and 1-or-2 for pleasure (online games or browsing ebay listings).

Any help appreciated please on how to fix the PCI fan not registerig, and comments on the temperaturs, and how to 'upgrade' my mac.

Michael.

Last edited:

j0mpst0rt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2018
Hello, Call Me A Newbie...

I have owned my mac pro 2010 5.1 ATI Radeon HD5770, 2x2.66 6-core, 48GB, ram. for 8 years and it has just sat here faithfully and worked day in day out. Best decision I ever made in buying a computer.

I have noticed the fans are getting noisier and noisier, and decided to try see why, as I remember this early morning that I couldnt even here the computer when I bought it.

SO, I installed Macs Fan Control 1.4.10.

It shows PCI 800 - 0 - 4500. <-- Does this mean the fan doesnt work? has it failed ?

I checked temperatures. and things seem hotter than what I see on other peoples temperature sensor results:

1. IOH Diode which was sitting at 91 degree,
  2. DIMMS all around 50degree
  3. PCIE 1 and 2 (1 is 93-97, and 2 is 81). <-- I have 2 graphics 5770 but only one is being used running 2 1680x1050 screens (sounds small now).
  4. PSMI Supplies 49 or 53
  5. CPU A around 50 degree
  6. CPU B around 40 degree

I have i think 2 or 3 times cleared the dust out of the cage. I'll do it again this weekend.

At moment I have set the temperatures for exhaust and intake to be based on IOH Diode and that has pulled its temperature down to 81. PCIE is unaffected. And now the fans have gone quiet for the mo.

Any ideas on what I should do to fix the PCI not registering ?.

I need to upgrade my Mac as cheaply as possible too. so i can use perhaps a 4k screen and definitely 2 or 3 larger HD screens, (have faithful samsung 22" screens). I like to work with more screen area like 2 screens for remote access to work, and 1-or-2 for pleasure (online games or browsing ebay listings).

Any help appreciated please on how to fix the PCI fan not registerig, and comments on the temperaturs, and how to 'upgrade' my mac.

Michael.
Please delete this thread. My other thread is more relevant.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.