Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

abdyfranco

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 4, 2017
Hi,

Currently, I have 3 of the 4 PCIe slots occupied, leaving only the second x16 slot free.

I want to install 1 more PCI card and an NVMe SSD, but with a single PCIe slot available it is not possible.

Looking in Google for a few hours, I found this SuperMicro PCIe card, which converts a single x16 slot into 2 x16 slots actively with a PLX chip (According to the Supermicro website)

https://www.amazon.com/Supermicro-RSC-R2UG-A2E16-A-Riser-Card/dp/B00D3O2ZE4

I know that the cMP does not support passive PCIe bifurcation, but I do not know if this active card would work in a cMP.

Any thoughts?

Flint Ironstag

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2013
Houston, TX USA
Contact Supermicro support. Ask them if it's proprietary to their motherboards or not. The chances of someone here having knowledge of that specific board in a Mac Pro are probably pretty slim. No harm in asking, though!

abdyfranco

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 4, 2017
I'm going to contact the Supermicro support, I'll post an update as soon as they respond.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
I know that the cMP does not support passive PCIe bifurcation, but I do not know if this active card would work in a cMP.

Any thoughts?
In the Windows and Linux worlds, PLX switches are pretty transparent to the OS and drivers. Many combo cards have PCIe switches - I've seen four-port Fibre Channel cards that were two two-port controllers on a card with a switch.

And the MP6,1 has a PLX switch - so Apple OSX probably would understand them.

If SuperMicro can't answer - search for a seller with a good return policy.

abdyfranco

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 4, 2017
In the Windows and Linux worlds, PLX switches are pretty transparent to the OS and drivers. Many combo cards have PCIe switches - I've seen four-port Fibre Channel cards that were two two-port controllers on a card with a switch.

And the MP6,1 has a PLX switch - so Apple OSX probably would understand them.

If SuperMicro can't answer - search for a seller with a good return policy.
Unfortunately I didn't receive any response from SuperMicro, I think my only option is to risk buying it and trying it out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.