Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KillerQueenn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 17, 2023
Hi guys, I have a 7,1 Mac Pro and have a W5700x module, one 1tb m2 ssd and two 2tb m2 ssd installed with PCIe adapters; with one 2tb ssd running Bootcamp. And everything worked fine. Recently I got a Nvidia RTX 3080ti FE installed, and I could not boot with the LED indicating PCIe error. After a few tries I found that I could not have more than one SSDs with the 3080ti installed. After pulling out 2 SSDs the machine boots and the 3080ti works in Windows.
I still want to use all my SSDs but I can't get it working. I tried different PCIe adaptors and it was not the reason. I tried different SSDs and no luck. Has anyone had the same issue? Is it a limitation by the 7,1 or is it a problem with my machine?

smckenzie

macrumors member
May 7, 2022
Weird. I have two ssds via pcie adapters (one is bootcamp win 11) along with an a4000 and two 6800x duos and the a4000 works fine. Obviously this doesn’t help you :(

KillerQueenn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 17, 2023
Weird. I have two ssds via pcie adapters (one is bootcamp win 11) along with an a4000 and two 6800x duos and the a4000 works fine. Obviously this doesn’t help you :(
Yeah I would think it should work with more than one ssd installed together with an Nvidia card wondering what the problem is.
But except this everything seems to be running well…

KillerQueenn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 17, 2023
Just solved the problem... in case anyone encounters the same problem as me, this is my solution:
1. With only one SSD installed with the RTX 3080ti, I manually allocate the SSD pcie slot to pool B.
2. I installed another SSD, it booted smoothly; then I allocate the 2nd ssd to pool B.
3. Then I installed the 3rd SSD, the machine booted and I have all my SSDs working with my 3080ti installed.
Now pool A has 25% occupied and pool B is 100% occupied (50% by thunderbolt and 25% x 2 by 2 SSDs).

I don’t quite understand why with more than 25% allocated to pool A (i.e. more than 1 ssd assigned to pool A) will prevent booting. If anyone has any idea please let me know, thanks!

KillerQueenn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 17, 2023
Another update... I tried to unplug the 3080 and allocate all three disks to pool A to test if it's a hardware issue with PCIe pool A...but no. All three drives work perfectly in pool A with 75% occupation. But once I install the 3080 system won't boot and LED indicates PCIe error. I had to do the same thing, removed the 3080, boot and allocate 2 drives to pool A. And then after installing the 3080 system booted. Still don't know why but I decided to let it go and do no more tests. If anyone has the same issue or knows the potential reasons please post here, thanks!

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
Another update... I tried to unplug the 3080 and allocate all three disks to pool A to test if it's a hardware issue with PCIe pool A...but no. All three drives work perfectly in pool A with 75% occupation. But once I install the 3080 system won't boot and LED indicates PCIe error. I had to do the same thing, removed the 3080, boot and allocate 2 drives to pool A. And then after installing the 3080 system booted. Still don't know why but I decided to let it go and do no more tests. If anyone has the same issue or knows the potential reasons please post here, thanks!
You will have to look at the internal schematics to see how are these slots sharing bandwidth.
You can use @joevt script to get more details

Last edited:
Reactions: Macschrauber

eRacK

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2024
Hi guys, I have a 7,1 Mac Pro and have a W5700x module, one 1tb m2 ssd and two 2tb m2 ssd installed with PCIe adapters; with one 2tb ssd running Bootcamp. And everything worked fine. Recently I got a Nvidia RTX 3080ti FE installed, and I could not boot with the LED indicating PCIe error. After a few tries I found that I could not have more than one SSDs with the 3080ti installed. After pulling out 2 SSDs the machine boots and the 3080ti works in Windows.
I still want to use all my SSDs but I can't get it working. I tried different PCIe adaptors and it was not the reason. I tried different SSDs and no luck. Has anyone had the same issue? Is it a limitation by the 7,1 or is it a problem with my machine?
The post was a little longer ago, but I have the same problem. Unfortunately, your solution does not work for me. The only difference is that I have an RTX4080FE installed. Does anyone here have a solution for this?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.