Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marknolan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2019
London
Hi,

I’ve recently upgraded the processors and graphics card in my Mac Pro and everything was working fine using OS Mojave. To speed things up I added a PCIe SSD Card and cloned it (Carbon Copy Cloner) from my existing bootable drive. I then set it to be my startup drive. Seems that this was a very bad mistake.

The Mac Pro refused to boot, the machine started but there was no display or customary chime. Then, I took all the drives out, replaced the graphics card with the original RX 5770 (non-metal) and popped a bootable High Sierra USB thumbdrive in the front. I reckoned that the Mac would search for a bootable drive and use the thumbdrive which I can then designate as the startup disk, reinsert the PCIe SDD, restart, reformat the SDD and do a fresh install of High Sierra, upgrade to Mojave and migrate the original information. But still nothing, same result. I have also tried all the various startup key combinations but they don’tvwork Either.

I’m completely lost as to what to do next and would really appreciate any ideas.

krakman

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2009
Hi,

I’ve recently upgraded the processors and graphics card in my Mac Pro and everything was working fine using OS Mojave. To speed things up I added a PCIe SSD Card and cloned it (Carbon Copy Cloner) from my existing bootable drive. I then set it to be my startup drive. Seems that this was a very bad mistake.

The Mac Pro refused to boot, the machine started but there was no display or customary chime. Then, I took all the drives out, replaced the graphics card with the original RX 5770 (non-metal) and popped a bootable High Sierra USB thumbdrive in the front. I reckoned that the Mac would search for a bootable drive and use the thumbdrive which I can then designate as the startup disk, reinsert the PCIe SDD, restart, reformat the SDD and do a fresh install of High Sierra, upgrade to Mojave and migrate the original information. But still nothing, same result. I have also tried all the various startup key combinations but they don’tvwork Either.

I’m completely lost as to what to do next and would really appreciate any ideas.

did you apply the 140.00.00 firmware update?

if you have a NVME PCIe SSD you need this firmware update to be able to boot from such a SDD.

marknolan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2019
London
did you apply the 140.00.00 firmware update?

if you have a NVME PCIe SSD you need this firmware update to be able to boot from such a SDD.

I’ll need to check, but at the moment I can’t get the Mac Pro to do anything. All drives have been removed and it seems to be ignoring the High Sierra bootable thumbdrive too...

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
SATA or NVMe PCIe SSD? Makes a big difference. What brand/model SSD and adapter?

marknolan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2019
London
What PCIe adapter?

As stated above, you need to be on 140.0.0.0.0 for NVMe to be bootable.
I have a recent system report printed out somewhere so I’ll check about the firmware.

However, I suppose at the moment it’s less about whether the SSD is bootable or not - the NVMe drive (and all other drives) have been removed and I still can’t get the Mac Pro (5,1) to boot, even from a USB thumbdrive. I’m at a loss as to why. If I can get the machine to boot then I’m reasonably confident that I can sort the NVMe drive out.

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
Put your original drive back in - the one you used to clone from (SATA based). Then reset NVRAM and SMC. Worth a shot as first attempt to fix. Some people report several NVRAM reset attempts eventually fix.

marknolan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2019
London
Put your original drive back in - the one you used to clone from (SATA based). Then reset NVRAM and SMC. Worth a shot as first attempt to fix. Some people report several NVRAM reset attempts eventually fix.
Thanks, will try that although the Radeon 5770 isn’t supported by Mojave. And of course the RX 580 means no boot screen! Should have bought an iMac Pro.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
You SHOULD be able to boot Mojo with the 5770 (I can boot with. 5870). You can’t install with it, and you won’t have any GPU acceleration, but you SOULD be able to check your firmware and fix your booting problems.

Once that’s done, remove/replace with the RX580.

I wouldn’t trade mine for a new iMac Pro at all...

marknolan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2019
London
You SHOULD be able to boot Mojo with the 5770 (I can boot with. 5870). You can’t install with it, and you won’t have any GPU acceleration, but you SOULD be able to check your firmware and fix your booting problems.

Once that’s done, remove/replace with the RX580.

I wouldn’t trade mine for a new iMac Pro at all...
You’re right, I think it’ll be worth it once I get everything working. However, just tried a few more startups with the original drive in place, but still nothing. Think I’ll give it a break now and try again in the morning but thank you everyone for your help so far.

Reactions: crjackson2134
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.