Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Jchimpo

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2023
Just wanted to post and update about a MVNE M.2 SSD that the list says does not work properly.

Let me preface this by saying that I am running these cards in a IO Crest SI-PEX40157 that uses a ASM2824 pcie 3.0 switch and that is most likely why I am not having any issues.

It seems similar to the samsung 980 series that wont work without a pcie 3.0 swith card.

Anyways, I have been using the WD Black SN770 1TB for well over a month now and have had 0 kernel panics or any other issues with the drives. Speeds are great and the maximum to be expected with the setup.

Hope this helps anyone considering using these ssd's. I got them simply because walmart carried them and I could pick them up locally right away for 55$ a piece and didn't want to wait.
Screen Shot 2023-11-07 at 7.16.50 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-11-07 at 7.24.37 PM.png

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Anyone?

Another option would be using a card like this:
View attachment 2308535

which would then be connected to the Ableconn but I don't know if this will work.

Tried that with my SSD7101A-1 and didn't work, you can't mix AHCI and NVMe blades. One or the other.

Btw, this type of adapters are made for data recovery, it's a kludge.

Reactions: polanskiman

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016

polanskiman

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2010
I have three 12+16 to PCIe cards, all three the green with white silkscreen (2013 Air or something) - works fine, but it's not easy to find a heatsink that fits correctly.
Are the drives seen internally or externaly by macOS?

polanskiman

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2010
All PCIe drives are external. Only SATA/SAS connected to the SATA/SAS backplane ports are internal.
Not sure why I was under the impression that adding the Ableconn with NVMe drives would be seens as internal drives. 🧐 - Learned somehting today. Thank you.

I'll probably get that standalone adaptor for the 256GB SSD (SSUBX) I have. It's a waste having the drive sitting in a drawer doing nothing.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Not sure why I was under the impression that adding the Ableconn with NVMe drives would be seens as internal drives. 🧐 - Learned somehting today. Thank you.

What are internal storage for the Mac Pro firmware:

Mac Pro year model:Model Identifier:What Mac Pro firmware recognize as internal drives:
Mac Pro (2006)MacPro1,1SATA drives connected to the 6 southbridge SATA ports plus the two PATA drives connected to the PATA cable inside the ODD bay.
8-Core Mac Pro (2007)MacPro2,1SATA drives connected to the 6 southbridge SATA ports plus the two PATA drives connected to the PATA cable inside the ODD bay.
early-2008 Mac ProMacPro3,1SATA drives connected to the 6 southbridge SATA ports plus the two PATA drives connected to the PATA cable inside the ODD bay.
early-2009 Mac ProMacPro4,1SATA/SAS drives connected to the 4 southbridge SATA ports plus the two SATA drives connected to the SATA cable inside the ODD bay.
mid-2010 Mac ProMacPro5,1SATA/SAS drives connected to the 4 southbridge SATA ports plus the two SATA drives connected to the SATA cable inside the ODD bay.
mid-2012 Mac ProMacPro5,1SATA/SAS drives connected to the 4 southbridge SATA ports plus the two SATA drives connected to the SATA cable inside the ODD bay.
late-2013 Mac ProMacPro6,1Only the 12+16 AppleOEM PCIe SSD is an internal drive.
2019 Mac ProMacPro7,1Only the T2 Storage is an internal drive for T2 Security.

While the two SATA ports of the logic board are internal for macOS, T2 Security definitions override macOS and you can only boot from SATA native ports with relaxed T2 Security, with external boot enabled with Startup Security Utility.

Any PCIe connected storage are external for the firmware and T2 Security.

polanskiman

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2010
What are internal storage for the Mac Pro firmware:

Mac Pro year model:Model Identifier:What Mac Pro firmware recognise as internal drives:
Mac Pro (2006)MacPro1,1SATA drives connected to the 6 southbridge SATA ports plus the two PATA drives connected to the PATA cable inside the ODD bay.
8-Core Mac Pro (2007)MacPro2,1SATA drives connected to the 6 southbridge SATA ports plus the two PATA drives connected to the PATA cable inside the ODD bay.
early-2008 Mac ProMacPro3,1SATA drives connected to the 6 southbridge SATA ports plus the two PATA drives connected to the PATA cable inside the ODD bay.
early-2009 Mac ProMacPro4,1SATA/SAS drives connected to the 4 southbridge SATA ports plus the two SATA drives connected to the SATA cable inside the ODD bay.
mid-2010 Mac ProMacPro5,1SATA/SAS drives connected to the 4 southbridge SATA ports plus the two SATA drives connected to the SATA cable inside the ODD bay.
mid-2012 Mac ProMacPro5,1SATA/SAS drives connected to the 4 southbridge SATA ports plus the two SATA drives connected to the SATA cable inside the ODD bay.
late-2013 Mac ProMacPro6,1Only the PCIe SSD is an internal drive.
2019 Mac ProMacPro7,1Only the T2 Storage is an internal drive for T2 Security.

While the two SATA ports of the logic board are internal for macOS, T2 Security definitions override macOS and you can only boot from SATA native ports with relaxed T2 Security, with external boot enabled with Startup Security Utility.

Any PCIe connected storage are external for the firmware and T2 Security.
I have read the OP several times over. For some reason, this didn't print in my head, I guess, since PCIe is not mentioned explicitly as being seen externally for 4,1 and 5,1. According to the table, they are external by exclusion of not being SATA. Makes sense.

What speeds are you getting with those 12+16 to PCIe x1 cards and your proprietary Apple drives?

basslik

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2008
Tried that with my SSD7101A-1 and didn't work, you can't mix AHCI and NVMe blades. One or the other.

Btw, this type of adapters are made for data recovery, it's a kludge.
So I have NVMe running OS. I also have a OWC spare Accelsior 2.

So both won't jive together Alex ?

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
I have read the OP several times over. For some reason this didn't print in my head, I guess, since PCIe is not mentionned explicitly as beeing seen externally for 4,1 and 5,1. According to the table they are external by exclusion of not being SATA. Makes sense.

What speeds are you getting with those 12+16 to PCIe x1 cards and your proprietary Apple drives?

Some old 12+16 drives are x2, but most are x4, like the SSUBX, and can read about ~1450MB/s

So I have NVMe running OS. I also have a OWC spare Accelsior 2.

So both won't jive together Alex ?

Like I've wrote, you can't mix one AHCI and one NVMe with the same PCIe switched card - at least not with the cards I have here or tested.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016

No, this is 12+16 blade from a 2013 Mac Pro, the only one with a heatsink - all other 12+16 blades are bare.

MacPro5,1 doesn't have the same firmware power/thermal management that other Macs have for the 12+16 blades, so, it's easier to overheat the blades that do not have factory heatsink.

I've overheated one 12+16 blade more than once doing clean installs on a hot day. People in temperate climates probably won't have any issue, but for anyone on a tropical country it's better to find a heatsink that fits to avoid having problems.

polanskiman

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2010
No, this is 12+16 blade from a 2013 Mac Pro, the only one with a heatsink - all other 12+16 blades are bare.

MacPro5,1 doesn't have the same firmware power/thermal management that other Macs have for the 12+16 blades, so, it's easier to overheat the blades that do not have factory heatsink.

I've overheated one 12+16 blade more than once doing clean installs on a hot day. People in temperate climates probably won't have any issue, but for anyone on a tropical country it's better to find a heatsink that fits to avoid having problems.
Yes I meant the heatsink on top of that blade.
Do you have an image of the heatsink you used on your blades?
I will definitely need one. Here, temps can go pretty high.

basslik

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2008
Some old 12+16 drives are x2, but most are x4, like the SSUBX, and can read about ~1450MB/s

Like I've wrote, you can't mix one AHCI and one NVMe with the same PCIe switched card - at least not with the cards I have here or tested.
Oh I understand. Just not in the same slot. I get it, thanks.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Do you have an image of the heatsink you used on your blades?
I will definitely need one. Here, temps can go pretty high.

Depends which slot you gonna install, when the Mac Pro have no space constrains I like to use this one below:

If it's a tight fit between big PCIe cards, it's usually a copper bar type.

polanskiman

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2010
Depends which slot you gonna install, when the Mac Pro have no space constrains I like to use this one below:

If it's a tight fit between big PCIe cards, it's usually a copper bar type.
Just to be 100% sure. Since this product is meant for NVMe M.2 2280 blades, it will fit no problems with 12+16 blades, right?

And since we are at it, would 2 of these heatsinks fit on the Ableconn? I have read some people have issues fitting certain brand of heatsinks on the Ableconn due to little clearance between the 2 blades.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Just to be 100% sure. Since this product is meant for NVMe M.2 2280 blades, it will fit no problems with 12+16 blades, right?

Fits 128/256/512, won't fit 1TB/2TB blades that are wider.

And since we are at it, would 2 of these heatsinks fit on the Ableconn? I have read some people have issues fitting certain brand of heatsinks on the Ableconn due to little clearance between the 2 blades.

Can't say, I don't own or have tested an Abeconn one. I've initially found the Snowman when trying to find a heatsink for a MacPro6,1, where the height have a serious limitation and the 12+16 adapter also interfere. It's an excellent heatsink and I've bought 4 locally already. I'll buy a 10-pack in the next AliExpress promo, 11/11.

Check the dimensions before you buy.

polanskiman

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2010
I’ve got the same Ableconn dual M.2 carrier and similar looking M.2 heatsinks, but with Samsung 970 EVO Plus blades, and it’s been a terrific experience. Hope yours is too.
Which heatsink do you have exactly? I am mostly concerned about the clearance between the two blades since it's possible that the heatsink might be slightly too big to fit two.
Sorry to insist. Could you share the link of the exact heatsink you have? Can you fit two of them in that card?

basslik

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2008
Double the price, but also get Dual M.2 NVMe SSD Slots, 10Gb Ethernet, and Two 10Gbps USB-C Ports

I liking it.
1699731738227.png

Reactions: h9826790

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
That’s the new Sonnet McFiver:
PCIe gen 2 x8 is limited to < 4000 MB/s and her tests didn't exceed that so they're plausible.
But what happens with a third AJA System Test benchmark with a second USB SSD or Ethernet File Share?

Only ATTO Disk Benchmark.app accurately tests multiple disks at the same time.

It would be nice to know what PCIE switch is used, and Ethernet controller, and USB controller, plus lane width for each controller.
Is the Ethernet controller USB or PCIe? Are the USB ports from a hub or from the USB controller?

Tech spaces say USB is ASMedia ASM3142 which is limited to < 15.75 Gbps.
Ethernet is Marvell AQC113S which is PCIe and may be limited to 31.5 Gbps (since the PCIe switch is not gen 4) which is plenty and so is 15.75 Gbps if they limited it to two lanes.

Last edited:

polanskiman

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2010
Double the price, but also get Dual M.2 NVMe SSD Slots, 10Gb Ethernet, and Two 10Gbps USB-C Ports

I liking it.
View attachment 2310955
If I am not mistakent the 10Gbe Ethernet port needs OpenCore to work. I think this is not an issue now an has been integrated to OpenCore. But good to keep in mind.

The other issue is you can't boot Windows/Linux with this card. Only macOS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.