Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
I did see these:

&

I also followed through some links, to said thread, but from looking I couldn't find an immediate answer, and I'm sure being a regular poster to this thread, who appears to have strong product knowledge in this area from your posts - It's likely you might have had a yes or a no.

I'm going to assume, as it's basically the quad version, minus two, it should work...?
Should work, it's just a cheaper version from the 4-blade model, using the x8 PLX switch. It's a relatively inexpensive card for what it offers comparing with the currently overpriced adapters with ASMedia ASM2824 switches.

Last edited:

MacManSuite

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2017
Should work, it's just a cheaper version from the 4-blade model, using the x8 PLX switch. It's a relatively inexpensive card for what it offers comparing with the currently overpriced adapters with ASMedia ASM2824 switches.

Thank you - I appreciate your response - as you say, at £100 odd it's a cost effective method to add dual NVMe support, thanks again.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Thank you - I appreciate your response - as you say, at £100 odd it's a cost effective method to add dual NVMe support, thanks again.
Since you are buying from Amazon you can return without problem. Once it is tested and confirmed working, will be the best cost effective two blade option for use in a MP5,1 by far. I added Amfeltec Squid SKU-086-32 to the first post.

It's a interesting card for the price, people who wants just two blades should look at it.

Link for the manual Squid PCI Express Gen3 Carrier BoardTM for 2 M.2 SSD modules

Last edited:

s.m.t.

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2010
Did you unplug it or remove it completely...
I pulled the fan out today. Running without it at the moment and the sound difference is immediate.

What it looks like for anyone interested:
yAwJCSEm.jpg

sw13dybm.jpg

I have the PCI fan locked at 2000rpm and it is still quieter. I think it would be fine without it, I reached out to SYBA about getting a replacement and they were pretty quick to respond.

kings79

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2015
HP EX920 M.2 1TB is the same as the on mentioned in the OP?

"HP SSDs:
EX920: SM2262 controller: NVMe, M.2 blade
3D TLC
Available in 256GB, 512GB, 1TB, and 2TB
PCIe 3.0 x4
Speeds: up to 3,200 MB/s read, up to 1,800 MB/s write (1TB)
Datasheet
Compatibility status: Good"

Adam Chuan

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2019
Just to remember:

Samsung 950PRO 512GB is NOT compatible with Mac Pro as a boot disk, only as a data/scratch one. Not even with the most recent firmware (2B0QBXX7).

View attachment 793703

The 950PRO incompatibility to MP5,1 is so weird that if I do clear the NVRAM, I have to remove the PCIe adaptor from the Mac or I can't boot from the other disks. If you set another disk as the boot drive, the 950PRO can be used as a data drive - until you need to clear NVRAM…

Another thing, if the 950PRO is installed, boot picker stops working, just a white screen - and that happens even if you don't have the NVMe EFI module injected.
Can I use the SSD7101A Card and install the MacOS 10.14.6 in 4xM.2(Raid0) ?does it work?

MacManSuite

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2017
Since you are buying from Amazon you can return without problem. Once it is tested and confirmed working, will be the best cost effective two blade option for use in a MP5,1 by far. I added Amfeltec Squid SKU-086-32 to the first post.

It's a interesting card for the price, people who wants just two blades should look at it.

Link for the manual Squid PCI Express Gen3 Carrier BoardTM for 2 M.2 SSD modules

I have purchased, and will be using along side the Sabrent 1TB NVMe:

Will let you know once it all arrives and fitted.

Test bench:

3.46 X5690 12 Core
96GB RAM
RX 590 8GB
1TB Sabrent
4TB WD Black
Sonnet USB3.0

Mojave 10.14.6

Reactions: tsialex

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016

Eneco

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2018
Did you unplug it or remove it completely...
I pulled the fan out today. Running without it at the moment and the sound difference is immediate.

What it looks like for anyone interested:
yAwJCSEm.jpg

sw13dybm.jpg

I have the PCI fan locked at 2000rpm and it is still quieter. I think it would be fine without it, I reached out to SYBA about getting a replacement and they were pretty quick to respond.

I removed the fan completely so it doesn't affect the airflow of the PCI fan, as this will be the only cooling the card is getting. My temperatures are about 40C for the NVME SSDs.

Adam Chuan

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2019
No, Mojave requires APFS and APFS RAID is not supported. You can use one for boot and 3 for an array.

I have some problems with my SSD7101-A.

I installed four 970 EVO Plus SSD in the raid card and set it up to the Raid0 or fusion drive of them, but I can’t boot it by HFS+ in MacOS 10.13.6 .

even that I installed one of them to boot , but it still doesn’t work,too.

In the end, I try to format the SSD but it always ejected or unread.

so I need your help or some opinions for me to let this device work.

thanks??

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
I have some problems with my SSD7101-A.

I installed four 970 EVO Plus SSD in the raid card and set it up to the Raid0 or fusion drive of them, but I can’t boot it by HFS+ in MacOS 10.13.6 .

even that I installed one of them to boot , but it still doesn’t work,too.

In the end, I try to format the SSD but it always ejected or unread.

so I need your help or some opinions for me to let this device work.

thanks??
Did you update the firmware of all 970 EVO+? See the link on the first post:

970 EVO Plus: Phoenix controller (S4LR020): NVMe
3D TLC (96-layer)
Available in 250GB, 500GB, and 1TB
PCIe 3.0 x4
Speeds: up to 3,500 MB/s read, up to 3,300 MB/s write
Sector size: 512 bytes per sector
Datasheet
Compatibility status: Requires at least firmware 2B2QEXM7 to work with macOS

Adam Chuan

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2019
Did you update the firmware of all 970 EVO+? See the link on the first post:
thanks for your reply.

Yes, I updated the SSD firmware and Mac Pro firmware for one week ago,

and I downloaded the driver for SSD7101A but it still cannot work.

I switch to my old raid card and it work usually now.

so I don’t know what’s happened to my Mac or SSD7101A.

MacManSuite

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2017
I have purchased, and will be using along side the Sabrent 1TB NVMe:

Will let you know once it all arrives and fitted.

Test bench:

3.46 X5690 12 Core
96GB RAM
RX 590 8GB
1TB Sabrent
4TB WD Black
Sonnet USB3.0

Mojave 10.14.6

As a further update,

Was not available from this seller:

"
Hello

Thank you for your order. Unfortunately, Amazon has mixed up our products. The item you ordered is something else.

I am sorry but I need to cancel your order.

Kind regards"

So, please do not order this card.

Ended up buying the IO crest.

zedex

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2018
Perth, WA
That's a real shame. Price was very attractive on that model. I just purchased 2x Lycom DT-130 (ASM2824).. it's awesome value for money :)

jantelis

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2019
NJ
I've read through many forums, posts etc, i'm seeing a lot of stuff from last year and prior and posts regarding mojave and my system but not with the os im currently on.

Has anyone had any luck using an NVME with appropriate pcie adaptor etc on a 5'1 Mac Pro Mid 2010 running High Sierra (latest version, not mojave) looking to use one of these drives and clone over my OS and data via carbon copy cloner, seeing alot of old posts and or posts that mention only mojave, was curious if this worked for anyone in the same os and comp as me. Have a owc ssd and pcie adaptor from them which works fine but speeds are locked around 500mb read/write and looking to upgrade.

thanks!

MacManSuite

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2017
Sabrent 1TB NVME + IO CREST fitted, results for 5GB file below.

Reasonable speeds I would suggest, anything that I should adjust tsialex to gain any further improvement?

Fan is a bit loud, but have seen people replacing that or disconnecting.

DiskSpeedTest.png

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Sabrent 1TB NVME + IO CREST fitted, results for 5GB file below.

Reasonable speeds I would suggest, anything that I should adjust tsialex to gain any further improvement?

Fan is a bit loud, but have seen people replacing that or disconnecting.

View attachment 865720
I think you already at the limit with this blade with TLC NAND, a Samsung 970 Pro can get you to the limit of the ASMedia PCIe switch, around 2950MB/s to 3000MB/s.

MacManSuite

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2017
I think you already at the limit with this blade with TLC NAND, a Samsung 970 Pro can get you to the limit of the ASMedia PCIe switch, around 2950MB/s to 3000MB/s.

Thank you, that's what I expected - not bad from the Sabrent and not sure the additional £160 is justified given the modest gains.

IMG_0468 2.jpeg

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
I wonder, IOcrest with 2 1TB EVO 970, can they boot in Raid in 10.13.6 HS.
Why not use the search? This was answered multiple times and the first test ever with an IOCrest/SYBA was with RAID and High Sierra.

Edit: the SYBA RAID test from @waimtrp is linked on the first post…

Last edited:
Reactions: kohlson
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.