Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cursor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
I'm trying to replace my 4TB RAID with online storage. pCloud was one of the few that I could find would load a virtual hard drive that I could see replacing my RAID. I registered, bought the 10TB family plan and downloaded the software. When I went to copy 600GB worth of files over as a test, it seemed to try to sync the files, instead of copying them over. Consequently, it blew through my hard drive space (500GB total). When I erased the files, my hard drive stayed bloated for some reason. About This Mac says that my documents folder has 350GB worth of stuff, but when I use Get Info on my documents folder, it says I only have 35GB there. It's a mess.

My questions are:

How do I recover the space differential between About This Mac and Get Info on my documents folder, so I recover the space?

Why is there a difference between what both are telling me about the size of my documents folder?

How do I move files to my pCloud drive without losing my Mac's hard drive space? I don't want to sync any files, just move them.

If I could get any help with this, I'd appreciate it. Anyone have experience with pCloud for Mac?

Thanks.

pCloud

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2024
Hi,

Thank you for choosing pCloud! In order to recover the space differential, you might need to clear the cache of your pCloud Drive. The cache is stored in a hidden folder on your Mac. You can access it by opening Finder, then click on 'Go' in the menu bar, hold down the 'Option' key and select 'Library'. In the Library, navigate to 'Application Support' > 'pCloud Drive' > 'pCloud Drive Cache'. You can delete the contents of this folder to free up space.

The difference in size reported by 'About This Mac' and 'Get Info' could be due to the cache not being cleared properly or other system files being counted in the total.

To move files to pCloud Drive without using your local storage, you can use the 'Upload' feature on the pCloud website (my.pcloud.com). This will directly upload files to pCloud without storing them locally. Please note that for large uploads, using the desktop app is recommended.

Remember, when you copy files to pCloud Drive, it creates a cache until the upload is complete. If you want to avoid this, use the 'Upload' feature on the website or the 'Backup' feature in the desktop app. After backing up, you will need to unlink your account by going to the 'Account' tab of your pCloud Drive and click the 'Unlink' button at the bottom right part of the screen. Keep in mind that this action terminates the connection between your computer and the pCloud platform.

If you need further assistance send us an email at support@pcloud.com where our Customer Support team will gladly assist you with any concerns 24/7!

Kindest regards,
pCloud Team

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.