Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001

I was a big fan of the Newton...

I really wish Apple would have a PDA plan. The biggest problem of the Newton was that it was a completely independant product.

Apple's all about solutions... They make the hardware, they make the OS. As a result it integrates _well_. It's been one of the big advantages of Apple.

Apple needs to leverage this. A Apple PDA designed to complement the desktop machine would be ideal. Sell Macs with PDA's as a option. Don't make them an afterthought...

in my opinion...
arn

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
too much

Apple doesn't have the resources to develop a PDA right now. It struggles to survive, because everything depends on the success of OS X. All efforts are focused there.
It makes much more sense to support Palms and other PDAs that are the most successful on the market as it does right now (the synchronising app is built in OS 9).
Maybe someday a special iMac-colored palm with eventually be available.

Anton Szandor LaVey

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2001
Oh of course

What about the "fake" iPhone is that what you'd want?

Obviously Apple has more time then you think and perhaps they are working on new things like the iPhone all the time and maybe it wont be long before they release something that will give us all a shock even the Pentium lovers... :eek:

[Edited by Anton Szandor LaVey on 04-16-2001 at 09:16 AM]

pliny

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2001
oh the pda

why not a pda? sure cupertino is zeroing on X right now and the foreseeable future but they got a $1billion+ in cash and they're hiring (mostly to port to OS X, tho). maybe an apple pda is pie in the sky but it'd be cool.

Pablomac

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2001
After the newton died I tried palm and wince and Pocket PC but I came back to the newton.
Definitely nothing comes close to the newton speed screen size etc. Of course I would like to have a color screen but the devices that has it are no competition to the newton, not even the ipaq.

I think Apple has a very good opportunity if releases a PDA smaller than the newton but larger than the Palm. color TFT screen 64 MB RAM with Palm OS (on steroids somehow!) taking advantage of the Newton OS (somehow).

Everytime I show my newton at the University everybody is amazed (specially Palm users).

I hope Apple releases a PDA soon or at least a smaller ibook (2400 size) with Handwriting recognition like the clio (www.clio.com).

Pablomac

macboy

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2001
PDAs

Apple will probably not release any PDAs anytime soon. :(

I think they would be cool but Apple thinks different!

MacBoy

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.