Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zhugzug

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2013
Hey gang,

Could anyone recommend a PDF app for my IPad Pro, that supports Apple Pencil, Forms, bookmarks, and cloud drives.

I've tried a few but the ones I've tried lack in some manor or another.

PDF Max, Apple Pencil works badly.
PDF Expert, No way to disable PDFs from Automatically going back to page one.

friedmud

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
For marking up PDFs I use Notability... but it's not a "true" PDF app so I don't think it has the ability to fill out forms.

I agree that PDF Expert always returning to the first page is an incredible annoyance. They REALLY need to fix that!

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD
Goodnotes is really good for writing and annotating. It's not suited as a file system.
PDF Expert 5 does NOT always open to the first page for me. It starts where I left off.
I also use PDF expert 5 as a complete file system for all my files (mostly PDF's, word and excel files).
Notability is nice as well.

friedmud

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
Goodnotes is really good for writing and annotating. It's not suited as a file system.
PDF Expert 5 does NOT always open to the first page for me. It starts where I left off.
I also use PDF expert 5 as a complete file system for all my files (mostly PDF's, word and excel files).
Notability is nice as well.

With PDF Expert it depends on the length of the PDF. With short PDFs it remembers where you left off. Longer ones (which is ironically when you need it to remember where you were!) will snap back to the first page when opened (sometimes, they will even do it if you just switch tabs! Infuriating!).

I have many long doctoral theses to read.... they always trigger this behavior.

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD
Just tried it on a 257 page jurisprudence doc and it stays on the page I left it. Even when I shut down pdf expert. I don't have my iPad here, this is just on my iPhone. Are your files scanned or printed?!

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
The issue with PDF Expert going back to the first page was fixed recently. Check you have the latest version.

Reactions: alecgold
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.