Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rocko918

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 5, 2003
Bristow , Va
Once a pdf is created and it is saved as a read only file, is there anyway to edit the text in the file anymore?

Thanks

James Philp

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2005
Oxford/London
Don't think so, not with a reader anyway (like preview or acrobat)
You may be able to play around with text in more sophisticated programs (I know adobe photoshop can re-edit PDF's as images at least)

FoxyKaye

macrumors 68000
Ditto on Acrobat Professional - it should be able to open up PDFs and re-edit them. Although, if the PDF was saved with a password, then it won't help here. Also, depending on how the original PDF was created, sometimes re-editing them is a real pain in the neck. Good luck!

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
Editing text in a PDF is technically possible in Acrobat Professional- yet utterly unuseable in my experience. If you used Quark, for example, to build your layout, Acrobat Pro doesn't respect any of your text boxes when editing. So typing on a line won't wrap to the next line, it will keep going off the end of the page. It is very unfriendly.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
Acrobat Proffessional is the only app that really does it, and it doesnt always work that well either (well is the only app that i know of that does it)

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Acrobat Pro v6+ is getting a little savvy now. You also have to have the font locally on your machine to edit the embedded text, otherwise any edits will be rendered in one of the Multiple Master fonts that Acrobat uses.

There's also software like this. Only $45 but I can't personally vouch for it.
http://www.hotlib.com/products1.php?id=24320

In Acrobat Pro 7 you can now enable some commenting features to be made available to Reader 7 users at the time of creation of the PDF.

allisonv7

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2004
At work we often edit text on PDF's, make sure to check when you've finished though to make sure none of your fonts have defaulted, that happens to us out of the blue every now and then.

allison.

RacerX

macrumors 65832
Aug 2, 2004
Well, you guys shouldn't forget about Illustrator as PDF is one of it's native file formats (it has been able to do this at least since Illustrator 6 as I recall).

And Create can edit PDFs made with Create.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.