Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iLearnMac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Please recommend a Mac app to convert PDF files to Pages, Keynotes (If possible Numbers)
Most apps I saw were doing PDF --> Word, PPT, XLS.

It should not just OCR / Extract Text but rather try and maintain original form, fonts as much as possible.
would be great if it works with PDFs of non English language too, Japanese, Chinese, Hindi & Tamil.
Would prefer a one time license rather than a subscription.

(I am seeking alternate to Adobe Acrobat. Adobe is subscription only, and since usage is not heavy rather sparse,
so subscription may turn expensive in longer run.)

Thanks in advance.

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
I have used PDFPen Pro for years to convert PDF files to Word, Excel and Powerpoint files. From there as @Slartibart says you can then open these is the corresponding iWork format (Pages, Numbers and Keynote) and then save them as a native format to those apps. PDFPen is a great PDF app with most of the functionality of Adobe's App, but at a fraction of the price (although not an inexpensive App). PDF conversion using PDFPen Pro is pretty good and most of the time gives a good match to the PDF original. PDFPen Pro can convert Japanese and Chinese and a number of other non English languages, but as I only ever convert English I can't say how well they work.

They offer a free trial so you can try it out before you buy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Slartibart
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.