Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vsimpson46

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2016
North Carolina
Is it possible to transfer a pdf from the kindle app on my ipad to my mac. The file was put into the kindle app using "open in" through ios sharing.

jrs22

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2012
Is it possible to transfer a pdf from the kindle app on my ipad to my mac. The file was put into the kindle app using "open in" through ios sharing.

Is it small enough to email? If yes, then open in ibooks, click on the share icon, and choose email.

vsimpson46

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2016
North Carolina
Is it small enough to email? If yes, then open in ibooks, click on the share icon, and choose email.
Thanks for answering. I can't open the file in anything except the kindle app. It was downloaded long ago and I no longer have a link. I did not have the foresight to email it to my kindle acct where it would have been archived. Other pdfs I have added like this appear under downloads in the kindle library on my mac except for this one.
[doublepost=1463191784][/doublepost]
Between Mac and iPad, there should be AirDrop is available, and files are transferable by AirDrop I believe, as long as they are sharing same wifi.
Hi. The problem I am having is that the file exists in my kindle app on my ipad but is not in my kindle library so i cant get a hold of it. I know know how I should have done that, but can't figure out how to correct the situation except for purchasing the file again.

FairyCatInPink

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2015
San Francisco, CA
Thanks for answering. I can't open the file in anything except the kindle app. It was downloaded long ago and I no longer have a link. I did not have the foresight to email it to my kindle acct where it would have been archived. Other pdfs I have added like this appear under downloads in the kindle library on my mac except for this one.
[doublepost=1463191784][/doublepost]
Hi. The problem I am having is that the file exists in my kindle app on my ipad but is not in my kindle library so i cant get a hold of it. I know know how I should have done that, but can't figure out how to correct the situation except for purchasing the file again.

I don't know how many pages of document(s) you're talking about, but if there's no way to pull out that document from kindle app, what about taking screen shots and save them as pictures? Well, if that document includes like 40-50 and more pages it's surely gonna be such a pain in butt, yet at least you can "save" the document in the form which you can transfer to Mac by AirDrop...

vsimpson46

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2016
North Carolina
I don't know how many pages of document(s) you're talking about, but if there's no way to pull out that document from kindle app, what about taking screen shots and save them as pictures? Well, if that document includes like 40-50 and more pages it's surely gonna be such a pain in butt, yet at least you can "save" the document in the form which you can transfer to Mac by AirDrop...
It is a rather large file. The reason I am concerened is that another person brought to my attention that hers wenr missing when she transferred her account to a new ipad. It would be less trouble to repurchase then transfer it after the fact. I am thinking if I backup my ipad , it would survive any way! Thanks so much for helping!

RedOrchestra

Suspended
Aug 13, 2012
I am thinking if I backup my ipad , it would survive any way

Backing up does not include books or pdfs or whatever inside 3rd party Apps - so a restore from back-up probably won't help.

Were you the ORIGINAL purchaser of that PDF file?

vsimpson46

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2016
North Carolina
It wasn't purchased through Amazon. I added it to my ipad kindle app after it was purchased using the "open in" option in file sharing. I should have emailed it to my account which would have meant it was archived and could have been downloaded whenever I needed. Alas, I did not do that and now have no way to get access to the file except to open it on my ipad- and thats fine. Just became aware that it might be lost if i change to new equipment. At this point, since backing up won't do it, I think If I want it, I will have to repurchase. On the bright side, it is much cheaper now than when i bought it the first time!

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Connect your iPad to computer, open iTunes, look for where it shows the files in each app. I'm not sure exactly how to get there, as I haven't worked with iTunes in a while. But there's a place somewhere where it shows you files stored in each app. If your PDF shows up there, you can copy it to your computer.

Edit: Found explanation for how to do this for another app. Hope it helps.
http://www.bytesquared.com/producthelp-topic/office-hd/transferring-files-using-itunes

Last edited:

Cancelled
Oct 11, 2015
It is a rather large file. The reason I am concerened is that another person brought to my attention that hers wenr missing when she transferred her account to a new ipad. It would be less trouble to repurchase then transfer it after the fact. I am thinking if I backup my ipad , it would survive any way! Thanks so much for helping!
Did you try File Sharing as linked in post #3? It's worked for me for the Kindle App.

vsimpson46

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2016
North Carolina
Usually the reason it doesn't show up for download or transfer to another device is because the purchasing ID is different.
No, it was me. I wouldnt have thought there would be a purchasing id through amazon since it was purchased from another website. I have bought other ebooks from other websites and transferred them to kindle the same way and i have found them on my mac kindle app under "downloads"- just not this one.
[doublepost=1463236327][/doublepost]
Connect your iPad to computer, open iTunes, look for where it shows the files in each app. I'm not sure exactly how to get there, as I haven't worked with iTunes in a while. But there's a place somewhere where it shows you files stored in each app. If your PDF shows up there, you can copy it to your computer.

Edit: Found explanation for how to do this for another app. Hope it helps.
http://www.bytesquared.com/producthelp-topic/office-hd/transferring-files-using-itunes
I will check this out. Thanks.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
No, it was me. I wouldnt have thought there would be a purchasing id through amazon since it was purchased from another website. I have bought other ebooks from other websites and transferred them to kindle the same way and i have found them on my mac kindle app under "downloads"- just not this one.

Would the website you bought it from have a way for you to confirm your purchase and let you redownload it for free?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.