Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IBMJunkman

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 15, 2014
Author has removed app from store. Apple sent me email saying refund is coming.

Will the app be automatically removed from my iPad Air 2?

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.

I don't believe so. You will be able to use it but, it won't ever be updated.

If you like the app, I would make a backup of it. That way, if you have to reinstall your OS and want it back on there, you will be able to.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009

The email you got specifically says:
"The app will remain available in your Purchases page on your iTunes account."

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
The email you got specifically says:
"The app will remain available in your Purchases page on your iTunes account."
And Apple can remove previous purchases from the store any time they want. They do it with songs and movies.

While the store is handy for downloading previous purchases, I always make a backup. That way, I don't have to hope my purchases stay in the store.

Reactions: revmacian

rijc99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2015
If the app will never be updated why would you keep it? You'll never get updated blacklists.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
If the app will never be updated why would you keep it? You'll never get updated blacklists.
Marco Arment has said the lists will be updated for some undetermined time. I don't expect it will be updated for too long as maintaining it does have a cost.

rijc99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2015
Marco Arment has said the lists will be updated for some undetermined time. I don't expect it will be updated for too long as maintaining it does have a cost.

Good on him. Although, Was this before or after Apple decided to proactively refund everyone? Because since Apple decided to refund everyone I assume that means he should feel no obligations to maintain the list. There are many alternatives out there it would be better to move on.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Good on him. Although, Was this before or after Apple decided to proactively refund everyone? Because since Apple decided to refund everyone I assume that means he should feel no obligations to maintain the list. There are many alternatives out there it would be better to move on.
It was after he knew about the mass refund, according to what he said on the Accidental Tech Podcast. He left it rather open ended as to what he'd do but I hope he would mention something on Twitter when he opts to kill it off, although he's under no obligation to do so.

ArmCortexA8

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
Terra Australis
I dug up some interesting info regarding this guy - below:-

The ad blocker called Peace was made by Marco Arment. He made over $110,000 and pulled the app after 2 days – suffering what appears to be ad remorse. To make things even more interesting, his Twitter account indicates he wants to give away this software to company operating the other blocker called Ghostery. Now why would someone put all this work and finance into an application and pull it 2 days later, then give away the software to a competing company? Sounds to me like the ad industry got to him. This seems very strange that’s for sure.

Last edited:

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009

ArmCortexA8

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
Terra Australis

bripab007

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2009
Corrected to Ghostery, but still sounds very suss why he gave his work away to the competition. I think he's had a "chat to"

Ghostery isn't competition. They have no iOS presence, and their primary business model is working with companies and their websites, not end-users and web surfers. Peace licensed Ghostery's advertisment/tracker database. Peace's competition would've been Purify, Crystal, Adamant, 1Blocker, Blockr, etc.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009

jtara

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2009
Reviving this old post, rather than making a new one, because my concern is directly related to this...

I had Peace installed on my iPad, and removed it some time ago. But it seems a bit of it hung around, and only the app/UI disappeared but it seems like the part that intervenes with content streaming remained.

That is, it seems to have continued to block ads even after removed.

Yes, I am embarrassed that I've let it go this many years. I've noticed the big white spaces in web pages, but just hasn't bothered me not to see ads...

If I search my iPad with Spotlight (just "peace"), it shows Peace under Settings. But there is no Peace entry in settings!

Anybody else see the same thing and/or manage to completely uninstall it? I think my only option is likely a factory reset and then restore from backup. But afraid that the restore from backup will also reinstall the part of Peace that does the filtering.

I use iMazing BTW. I checked Apps and File System in iMazing, and no Peace. (yuck, yuck!)

I decided to look into this again today after noticing that Ookla Speedtest now has a VPN built-in. Caught that in the notes when installing app updates. My iPad has been freezing in multiple apps over the past few days. I had a hunch, and uninstalled Speedtest and did a full reboot, and guess what the freezes went away. Even though by policy Speedtest should NOT have defaulted the VPN to enabled.

Anyway, figured it was a good time to exercise some additional hygiene about system extensions, and Peace came to mind. Would really like to get rid of the residual now. Got me wondering now about previous keyboard extensions I've had installed. Are they really uninstalled?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.