Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mejsric

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2013
Please help me with this if you can.
I am the only one among my friends that has Apple products. When i'm asked why Apple are better and not a junk i don't know what to replay to them objectively (i just tell them that they require my needs and that it) they told me, that other products cheaper and better can do that

Forgot to tell that they never used an iOS or OSX.

Is that your real friends??? Well for me. Very simple give them a try. Every Android user i meet blows thier mind how beautifuly crafted iPhone is.

----------

Security, stability, unimpeded customisation. You can never have all of them.

When Android users talk about 'limited' and 'customisation', all I really see them do is install stupid widgets, pirate/hack games, and change icons. And yet they have the audacity to say that iOS users are stupid and non tech savvy. :rolleyes:

This. When some people ask me why iPhone. I told them I have credit card in this phone and bank transactions. I need to be safe.

fullauto

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2012
Brisbane
This phone release is going to be redonkulous! Possibly the biggest release of an Apple product ever? Let alone an iwatch and whatever else is in the pipeline. Much anticipation.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Interesting isn't it.

How bit by bit, the nearer and near we are getting to launch, what's NOT going to be seen.

No Sapphire screen
Lack of 5.5" info

It's leaking more and more to quash expectations of what may be announced.
Funny that isn't it.

One could almost feel like someone is deliberately manipulating expectations :)

Last edited:

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Yes, but you also can never convince them….. unless they have been given an opportunity to try out or play with the iPhone (or other Apple products).

Sadly this is the case in many areas that do not have access to a nearby Apple Retail Store. This is also the case in many countries where they have zero Apple Stores. Hence the few "Apple fans" in those countries are considered weird, considered fringe people who dabble in Apple devices when the rest of their countrymen use Androids/Windows. Clearly they are an outnumbered bunch, and all their friends will criticize them for using Apple devices which is "not normal" in the society.

Or, just maybe people choose Android because they like it.:eek: That's exactly what I did. I have other Apple products (iPad and MBA) but the iPhone has never been a want of mine. I see one in use every day because my daughter has one. Fact is, there's nothing that can be done on an iOS device that can't be done on Android. Personally, I think we've reached parity with both OS' and it's just a matter of preference. I am a tech fan. Not an Apple fan or Android fan. I own Apple, Samsung, Google, MS, Amazon, etc. The products I own work very well and do exactly what I want them to do. So when I see "reasons" like the one above I have to giggle and wonder if people actually believe that type of stuff.

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
1) Ecosystem is outstanding.
2) Design is second-to-none.
3) iOS is the best OP out there.

That's my top 3, tell them that and it will shut them up.

After going into iPhone development, I have found that my computing environment has gone Apple almost by stealth. First, I picked up a Mac Mini and placed it on a KVM switch with my Windows box to work on either platform as needed.

Then the usage cycle transitions to Mac almost by osmosis.

First, I was only using Xcode and a web browser on the Mac Mini. Then I discovered several open source Office suites that worked with Microsoft file formats. Then I started to save in open source document formats.

Over a period of a few months, any app with alternative support on Mac had its use there. As the app projects came in, I picked up different iOS devices for development from an iPod Touch, to an iPhone and even an iPad Air. These devices became my "casual" home devices when not developer targets.

By the end of a very productive summer, I found my Windows PC turned off for weeks only running apps with no Mac counterpart. Most of these were old favorite games, embedded systems IDEs and Win32 compilers that were not supported on the Mac.

Then my tried-and-true, workhorse, Windows XP laptop was sent out to pasture. Money from the iOS app and accessory development had me look at the MacBook Pro. My local Apple store had a full-tits version 15" MBRr ready to go. Dropped the cash, took it home and I'm writing this on that MBPr.

Future embedded systems projects had processor selection based on the existence of a native Mac OS X development environment (yes, I know there is Boot Camp but I'm not willing to compromise any system performance) if there were not any other differentiating factors.

Then, the realization came about, I morphed into an Apple user from this development path. I still keep the Windows PC and laptop as legacy devices in case of support issues with future projects.

Didn't bother with Windows 8 and I doubt if I'll even download Windows 9 if I have to pay for it. I'll probably install it on my Windows 9 box for sheer professional curiosity and backwards compatibility of projects I maintain every now and then from my Win32 development years.

Then there is the old XP laptop, should I switch it over to Linux?

----------

Yes, but you also can never convince them….. unless they have been given an opportunity to try out or play with the iPhone (or other Apple products).

Sadly this is the case in many areas that do not have access to a nearby Apple Retail Store. This is also the case in many countries where they have zero Apple Stores. Hence the few "Apple fans" in those countries are considered weird, considered fringe people who dabble in Apple devices when the rest of their countrymen use Androids/Windows. Clearly they are an outnumbered bunch, and all their friends will criticize them for using Apple devices which is "not normal" in the society.

My observation is the Apple vs. Android mindset is quickly paralleling the old "Ford vs. Chevy" attitude prevalent with those in the south. I have known people who have made house purchase decisions based on the location of a local Ford or Chevy dealer in southern States.

Also, the most glaring void in Europe missing an Apple store is Denmark. Been told many stories about Danish cronies keeping it from happening. I'd love to get a full story whom knows that market well.

Last edited:

gizmo84

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2010
Please help me with this if you can.
I am the only one among my friends that has Apple products. When i'm asked why Apple are better and not a junk i don't know what to replay to them objectively (i just tell them that they require my needs and that it) they told me, that other products cheaper and better can do that

Forgot to tell that they never used an iOS or OSX.
They tell me a lot that iphone is not a smartphone

They tell me a lot that i am a fool and Apple is just a profit company

1) Apple's attention to detail is so much better than other phones
2) No compromise designs
3) fit and finish is top notch (flagship model not made of cheap plastic)
4) Ecosystem
5) NO UN-REMOVABLE BLOATWARE INSTALLED ON STOCK FIRMWARE

bhayes444

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2013
Or, just maybe people choose Android because they like it.:eek: That's exactly what I did. I have other Apple products (iPad and MBA) but the iPhone has never been a want of mine. I see one in use every day because my daughter has one. Fact is, there's nothing that can be done on an iOS device that can't be done on Android. Personally, I think we've reached parity with both OS' and it's just a matter of preference. I am a tech fan. Not an Apple fan or Android fan. I own Apple, Samsung, Google, MS, Amazon, etc. The products I own work very well and do exactly what I want them to do. So when I see "reasons" like the one above I have to giggle and wonder if people actually believe that type of stuff.

+1000

This is exactly how I feel about the whole iOS vs Android debacle. They are both fine operating systems and both have some things the other doesn't. But, by and large they are equals. For people who say fragmentation on Android I don't think they understand that the Google Play Services gets updated regularly, and that is what allows Android phones to use all of the Google services. Plus, stock phones, in my opinion, are the better buys. I have considered an iPhone myself, so that iOS 8 will play nicely on it with my iPad and rMBP, but I just can't pull myself away from having an Android device. It's just fun to mess with (for me), and having stock Android is a beautiful thing. In fact, a lot of the hate for Android I feel comes from the skins that manufacturers put on it. I love vanilla Android, just like I love iOS vanilla only flavor.

The main problem with Android (I've run into this a lot with family and friends), is that it is very easy for someone to mess up something and not know how to fix it. This boils down to users needing to learn how to use the device at the basic level (akin to the whole kids doing IAPs on the app store and parents not enabling the purchase lock), and is a truth for any smart device; iOS, Android, BB, or Windows phone. Android is just not as easy to learn as iOS is in my opinion.

It is indeed true that there are Android phones that are cheaper than the iPhone and do 95% of the same stuff (e.g. Moto G), but they're also cheaper than every Android flagship as well. Those are the phones I recommend to anybody that doesn't care too much about the "smart" functionality of a smart phone. Why pay $550+ for an iPhone 5C or 5S, Galaxy S5, LG G3, Xperia Z2, etc. when almost all of their needs are met by something that can be replaced for less than half the cost of those other devices?

On topic-ish...
There was no mention of the 5.5 inch iPhone 6, and maybe Apple is letting their grizzled old war veteran Foxconn take care of the assembly for its first run.

Last edited:

Manzzle

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
I feel like I'm going to be greatly disappointed like last year if they do not release or at least show us the 5.5" model if there really is one.

I still use my iPhone 5 and while using my iPad Air to type this out right now it makes me wish I still had the Galaxy Note 3 because the iPhone 5 screen is still small.

But yeah I'm going to be very upset again if they do the same crap like going from the 4s to the 5/5s with that 3.5" screen to just 4".

I don't have the Note 3 anymore because I could not stand the OS on it. I touched an app and 3 seconds later it would respond. But the screen size was great.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Interesting isn't it.

How bit by bit, the nearer and near we are getting to launch, what's NOT going to be seen.

No Sapphire screen
Lack of 5.5" info

It's leaking more and more to quash expectations of what may be announced.
Funny that isn't it.

One could almost feel like someone is deliberately manipulating expectations :)

When was a sapphire screen ever confirmed or not confirmed? :confused:

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
I feel like I'm going to be greatly disappointed like last year if they do not release or at least show us the 5.5" model if there really is one.

I still use my iPhone 5 and while using my iPad Air to type this out right now it makes me wish I still had the Galaxy Note 3 because the iPhone 5 screen is still small.

But yeah I'm going to be very upset again if they do the same crap like going from the 4s to the 5/5s with that 3.5" screen to just 4".

I don't have the Note 3 anymore because I could not stand the OS on it. I touched an app and 3 seconds later it would respond. But the screen size was great.

Prepared to be disappointed. I don't understand this sentiment anyway. Why do you want one big phone when the combination of iPhone+iPad mini, which you already have, is better. Are you saying typing on iPad mini is worse than Note 3? With iOS 8 you can even text&call from your mini.

D-Dave

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2010

1. If ANYONE criticizes you for your choice in a tech gimmick, why on earth would you consider this person to be your friend???

2. People will most likely make their choice based on personal needs and preference (most likely achieved by personal multipliers (e.g. my parents ask me what phone to buy...so do my aunts, uncles, sisters...), not by presence of shops)...but, most people out there are not tech-geeks like us...and will probably never understand the need to have an iPhone, an Android phone plus a windows phone as well as an iPad and a surface pro 3...:D

3. Friends don't let friends .... mock each others Smartphones

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Pegatron v Foxconn... Pegatron is the primary manufacturer of the iPad mini; Foxconn the iPad Air. Are there pervasive build quality issues with either product? None that I'm aware of.

From personal experience build quality of my Mini Retina is no different than my Air. 100% not something to be concerned about, and also don't think Apple would put it's #1 revenue generator in the hands of a shoddy manufacturer.

---

50m iPhone 4.7's for 2014. OK, this is a report from Digitimes, so reading tea leaves is slightly more reliable. BUT Apple sold 60m iPhones between the 5S/5C launch and Dec 31, 2013. (Includes ALL iPhone sales, not just 5S and 5C). So 50m seems about right. Add in a 5.5" model and the iPhone could see double digit growth this Q1.

However, based on Apple's guidance for this quarter (4), of which the iPhone launch would be in, Apple is as cautious as usual on the first weeks sales #s based on its revenue projection. It reflects no growth spike, perhaps because the 5.5" model will not release until Q1 -- after Sep 31 -- and it anticipates some people holding off on either model until the 5.5" ships. So the growth wouldn't be reflected until Q1.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
1. If ANYONE criticizes you for your choice in a tech gimmick, why on earth would you consider this person to be your friend???

3. Friends don't let friends .... mock each others Smartphones

Ah, lighten up. If the mocking is all in good fun that's what friends do. It's like needling a friend for being a fan of certain sport team or driving a POS car OR a way too showy car or an a$$ awful band, or generally bad taste in anything, wine women, whatever.

Now if the criticism is mean spirited, not in jest, then OK, but then there are other deep rooted problems in that friendship. I don't expect my friends to be in lock step with me and wouldn't want them too. Boring & no personal growth opportunity.

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
Has anyone noticed any quality differences between manufacturers when Apple has used two different manufacturers for the same product?

Components are often all manufactured by the same manufacture, and/or they all need to meet the same exacting quality standards. Assemblers have limited impact on product variation these days because of Apple's strict oversight and assembly automation (robotics). There's very little chance end users could figure out which manufacturer made each part of their device to determine if one manufacturer was better than another. Only Apple could figure that out.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
I think that the lack of 5.5" parts means nothing. We have seen very little about the new iPads or the iWatch but we know they are coming

The iWatch (or whatever it may be called) can be pre-announced because there is no existing product sales to kill. They did this with the original iPhone and iPad. So we may not see parts for a while.

As for the relative lack of iPad parts, the big redesign occurred last year. Thus fewer parts of interest to leak. Also its release is further off.

I'm not saying the 5.5" iPhone 6 is definitely going to be made in the US but the prospect of it being built here is intriguing.

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
As consumers, will we be able to tell where our iPhone 6 was made?

Very unlikely. However, companies usually have distinctive marking on internal components to identify component manufacturers and assemblers. Our company designs non-critical variation into components made by multiple suppliers. We're the only ones that will notice the difference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.