Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

confucious

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 19, 2010
Woking, UK
I bought a 12.9” iPad with pencil but on;y used it for a couple of months before the mini 5 came out as it was to big to carry everywhere.
now I’m working from home I’ve started using it again and found my pencil. When I attatch it, it shows up with a flat battery (no surprise there) but I left it overnight with the iPad plugged in and this morning it’s still showing no charge in the pencil. Any ideas? Or is it borked?
Thanks.

Davidalan

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
Remove the pencil from the ipad. Go into settings - Bluetooth - select pencil the little “i” with the circle around it and then forget this devise. Then attaché the pencil and see if it pairs and starts to charge.

confucious

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 19, 2010
Woking, UK
Remove the pencil from the ipad. Go into settings - Bluetooth - select pencil the little “i” with the circle around it and then forget this devise. Then attaché the pencil and see if it pairs and starts to charge.
Thank you, it recognised the pen straight away and connects, but still no joy charging.

Aggie88

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2013
Omaha
Kind of unorthodox but try heating the pencil up. I had the same problem and read about heating it up with a hairdryer until it feels warm. I did it with hot water. I put the pencil in a baggie and then let it sit in hot water for a few minutes. It worked for me but like I said it is a bit unorthodox. If yours isn't charging and it is out of warranty then it may be worth a shot.

SpaceGrayAlways

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere
It looks like you already took the suggested steps, so next move would be to reach out to Apple. Should be covered as long as your warranty hasn't expired. If your iPad has AppleCare+ it's covered under the AppleCare+ Agreement (though you may need to speak to a Senior Advisor if they aren't paired in the system).

confucious

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 19, 2010
Woking, UK
Well, I tried warming it up but no joy. Thanks for the suggestion though.
Its out of warranty and the repair cost is £99 - I think buying the pencil was an expensive mistake

Reactions: Aggie88

IngerMan

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2011
Michigan
I thought I would share I dropped my Pencil 2 a few nights ago on our wood floor and the tip broke off with the threads inside the fitting. I called apple support yesterday and they are sending me a replacement arriving today. Just was pre charged until I send back the broken tip one. Its about 9 months old, great service.

I did try to remove the broken piece with a sharp point but all I was doing was making things worse. Also I dropped this pencil numerous times it must of been just right for it to break. I use it hours a day like a stylus. Also I have apple car + but did not need to use it.

Reactions: confucious

confucious

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 19, 2010
Woking, UK
The quote I got was wrong, whe they sent the invoice it was for more than I was quoted. On speaking to an advisor they told me the price I was charged was correct.
I asked to speak to their manager and the senior advisor checked and said there was a glitch in their system as the price I was quoted was what she saw when she looked for a quote.
she then reversed the charge. My pencil turned up the following day, I returned the broken one and can now confirm I have not been charged a penny. Result!

Reactions: SpaceGrayAlways

SpaceGrayAlways

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere
The quote I got was wrong, whe they sent the invoice it was for more than I was quoted. On speaking to an advisor they told me the price I was charged was correct.
I asked to speak to their manager and the senior advisor checked and said there was a glitch in their system as the price I was quoted was what she saw when she looked for a quote.
she then reversed the charge. My pencil turned up the following day, I returned the broken one and can now confirm I have not been charged a penny. Result!
Why I LOVE Apple haha!

Reactions: confucious
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.