Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Skewlovevism

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 2, 2021
Japan
Hello Everyone!

I have somewhat an odd question, probably very rare and, probably, pointless question.

When I got my iPad Air 2, years ago, I have also purchased PENCIL by 53. I really liked it at that time.
Some time after, I gave my Air 2 to a family member, was iPad - less for a few years, but kept the PENCIL.
Then I got iPad Pro with Apple Pen, so have used this.

I have recently found the PENCIL and also got an ipad Mini 2, running iOS 12. So I downloaded PAPER by 53
and found out, the pencil is no longer supported by them. I cannot find any app, which supports it (even on iOS 12)

Is there anyone, who still uses the PENCIL by 53 and can recommend me and app or way, to use it, as an active stylus?
As an active stylus, it had palm rejection and eraser. Passive, it is no good, as it doesnt work, if I put my palm on screen.

The stylus was rather expensive and don't want it just to "sit in the corner".

PS: I have 1 spare Android tablet too, but there, too I couldn't find any app at all, which supports it.

• Love
Reactions: sorgo †

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
Hello Everyone!

I have somewhat an odd question, probably very rare and, probably, pointless question.

When I got my iPad Air 2, years ago, I have also purchased PENCIL by 53. I really liked it at that time.
Some time after, I gave my Air 2 to a family member, was iPad - less for a few years, but kept the PENCIL.
Then I got iPad Pro with Apple Pen, so have used this.

I have recently found the PENCIL and also got an ipad Mini 2, running iOS 12. So I downloaded PAPER by 53
and found out, the pencil is no longer supported by them. I cannot find any app, which supports it (even on iOS 12)

Is there anyone, who still uses the PENCIL by 53 and can recommend me and app or way, to use it, as an active stylus?
As an active stylus, it had palm rejection and eraser. Passive, it is no good, as it doesnt work, if I put my palm on screen.

The stylus was rather expensive and don't want it just to "sit in the corner".

PS: I have 1 spare Android tablet too, but there, too I couldn't find any app at all, which supports it.
53 were sold off in 2018 but even before then, they'd given up on their hardware line in 2016, thus discontinuing the Pencil line.

There were only a few apps at the time that fully supported it even when it was active. I know Procreate apparently stopped supporting it at sometime and I can only imagine that's now pretty much the case anywhere.

I'd be surprised if anyone wants to embed drivers in their apps for a hardware device that's not been sold for over 4 years.

Skewlovevism

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 2, 2021
Japan
53 were sold off in 2018 but even before then, they'd given up on their hardware line in 2016, thus discontinuing the Pencil line.

There were only a few apps at the time that fully supported it even when it was active. I know Procreate apparently stopped supporting it at sometime and I can only imagine that's now pretty much the case anywhere.

I'd be surprised if anyone wants to embed drivers in their apps for a hardware device that's not been sold for over 4 years.
Thank you for a reply to this post

I understand, but maybe I was more about the answer, where, somebody was able to download old version of Paper to run it iOS 12, or in some jailbroken way :)

Reactions: sorgo †
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.