Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimnaze

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 28, 2015
At what point do you change nibs? I've had for two days and my tip has turned black/blue. I don't want it wearing to a point that it scratches screen.

JeffMorse

macrumors regular
May 12, 2010
I can't answer your question, but I did drop my pencil today and mashed the tip flat. I called Apple and after a bunch of checking around they are sending 2 new nibs for about $20, including shipping.

Reactions: A.R.E.A.M.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
I can't answer your question, but I did drop my pencil today and mashed the tip flat. I called Apple and after a bunch of checking around they are sending 2 new nibs for about $20, including shipping.

2 nibs for 20$, 10 dollars per nib? They must be joking? I'm hoping it is two packs that includes 4 nibs or something, there is no way it should cost 20$ for just two. That's just freaking insane considering how much people would be using the pencil daily.

JeffMorse

macrumors regular
May 12, 2010
2 nibs for 20$, 10 dollars per nib? They must be joking? I'm hoping it is two packs that includes 4 nibs or something, there is no way it should cost 20$ for just two. That's just freaking insane considering how much people would be using the pencil daily.

Not quite guys. The nibs were $5.90 each. The shipping was nearly as much as the nibs.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Not quite guys. The nibs were $5.90 each. The shipping was nearly as much as the nibs.

I'm not sure that's any better, it costs 6$ to ship 2 tiny nibs or did you pay for overnight? Can you take pictures of the nibs when you get them? I cannot fathom 6$ per nib plus 6$ shipping. That's still crazy. A pack of 4 nibs for 10$ is the most reasonable price. It cost a few bucks to ship a very lightweight product, I've shipped several pounds for less than 10$.

If MS can do it for their nibs, Apple should be near it.

JeffMorse

macrumors regular
May 12, 2010
Well, I see why shipping was so expensive...

Attachments

• IMG_0012.JPG
    IMG_0012.JPG
    207.4 KB · Views: 303
  • IMG_0011.JPG
    IMG_0011.JPG
    206.7 KB · Views: 298

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
You get a spare so why order them ??

As for when to replace.. When it wears which you will notice.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Well, I see why shipping was so expensive...

That's really sad.

Why do I have a feeling your Apple rep tore these from existing pencil packaging, put it in the zip and sent it to you himself manually. I think Apple simply has not started the production of nib replacement packs. Hopefully, when they reveal it in a few months alongside USB 3.0 cables for iPad Pro, these will be cheaper to buy.

JeffMorse

macrumors regular
May 12, 2010
That's really sad.

Why do I have a feeling your Apple rep tore these from existing pencil packaging, put it in the zip and sent it to you himself manually. I think Apple simply has not started the production of nib replacement packs. Hopefully, when they reveal it in a few months alongside USB 3.0 cables for iPad Pro, these will be cheaper to buy.

I suspect you're pretty much right on. The nibs aren't even officially in the system yet, except as warranty replacement parts I think.

spinstorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007
I don't know how your nib would change colour after 2 days?!

Unless your keeping it in a very dirty location that can stain plastic.

I imagine that the nibs are not going to wear out anytime soon unless you press hard all the time when using the pencil or your an artist who uses it every day most of the day. I feel that the 2 nibs you get as standard are meant to last the lifetime of the iPad pro (unless you physically damaged the nibs by dropping/crushing etc).

I have a tempered glass protector on my pro and it works exactly the same as without.

The only issue I had was because the glass is so large I got some dirty around the edges on the iPad that I could not remove without throwing it away, but they are nowhere near The display so I am happy with it.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
I don't know how your nib would change colour after 2 days?!

Unless your keeping it in a very dirty location that can stain plastic.

I imagine that the nibs are not going to wear out anytime soon unless you press hard all the time when using the pencil or your an artist who uses it every day most of the day. I feel that the 2 nibs you get as standard are meant to last the lifetime of the iPad pro (unless you physically damaged the nibs by dropping/crushing etc).

I have a tempered glass protector on my pro and it works exactly the same as without.

The only issue I had was because the glass is so large I got some dirty around the edges on the iPad that I could not remove without throwing it away, but they are nowhere near The display so I am happy with it.

Most likely manufacturing defects, it happens all the time.

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008

Since when does Apple charge reasonably for its products?

Reactions: Xprmntr

munishp

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2015
Cloud
Just to add to this conversation..my nib has also gone off colour. Does actually look slightly blue too and not sure how it has got like that.

dalcorn1

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
I dropped my pencil this morning and it arrowed straight to the floor like a lawn dart and flattened the nib. Remembered there was a spare in the box but not where I'd put it and thus had mad panic trying to find it before work. Forgot there was a lightning connector in there too. Instant better mood when I'd got it though

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere
While it's not always easy to do, I'd say patience is the key since Apple does seem to be a bit unprepared to sell and service their magical pencil. The ones we have at work all look ratty, off colored misshapen nibs and all. Apple promises replacements but we're still waiting. Good thing these iPP's aren't our primary devices. Especially considering the artists using them are babying the heck out of the pencils and they still look like they've been tossed about.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.