Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OldCorpse

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 7, 2005
compost heap
I bought an iPad 10 a few days ago, and was wondering if there’s a pencil that might be useful.

I have an Apple pencil 1 left over from an Air 3 I traded in for credit at Apple.

I’m not thrilled to hunt around for dongles and adapters to get it to pair/charge, not to mention that I find the charging arrangement in Apple’s design super clumsy and depressing in this case.

It occurred to me that maybe I can give a third party pencil a try.

I don’t have any super complicated tasks in mind, like artist drawings; I just want to be able to draw simple doodles and shapes for brainstorming and basic illustration. Also some note taking that I hope to turn into text. General more precise pointing, clicking, selecting etc. Nothing fancy.

I’m hoping for something that doesn’t cost an arm and a leg, definitely cheaper than Apple. Hopefully something that charges in a simple way without jumping through hoops. Something that’s functional with a reasonable reliability that actually works on an iPad and doesn’t have random dropouts in capabilities on the iPad 10.

What are your recommendations? TIA!

RaphaZ

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2021
Yes, a third party pencil would be the best option. If I were you, I wouldn't doubt.

Soulflower

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2011
I have this one for my iPad mini and it's great. It's magnetic and charges by being attached to the iPad.

Reactions: RaphaZ

MacCraig Pro

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2012
Manchester, UK
I have one of these: -

【2023 Newest】iPad Pencil (2nd Generation), iSkey Magnetic Wireless Charge Pen Ultra -High Sensitivity/Tilt/Palm Rejection Stylus Pen for iPad Pro 12,9" 6/5/4/3, Pro 11", iPad Air 4/5, iPad Mini 6 https://amzn.eu/d/3Hh6EF2

It’s reasonably decent and connects to the side of the iPad for charging. Not sure if an iPad 10 has this feature though, so definitely worth checking. It work’s reasonably well but the palm rejection is sometimes a bit iffy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.