Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SHNXX

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 2, 2013
With the new Surface Pro being announced, it seems that Apple and Microsoft each has provided graphic artists, business professionals, students, etc with a great option for pen experience either on iOS or Windows 10.
I remember using Tablet PC about 10 years ago as a student with Microsoft OneNote, which was a productive experience with a lot of frustration (battery life, heat, weight, performance, user interface of microsoft windows at the time, etc).
Since then, Wacom technology has not improved all that much but the tablet technology has been inching along every year, especially with the introduction of iPad, and now we finally have devices (since the Surface Pro) that deliver on the promise for those of us who need the pen.

Are you in the market for a pen input device?
Which will you buy?
Do you currently own professional pen input devices?

I currently own a Wacom Intuos4 Extra Large device for pen input (obviously not for note-taking, because that wouldn't be practical). I also have a Samsung Note 2, but I never use it because it doesn't have any great note-taking software.
I would really prefer to use the iPad Pro, because I prefer the Apple ecosystem products, but am worried that there won't be great professional-grade applications that can substitute for Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop and note-taking software like OneNote is for Surface.

Atomic Walrus

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2012
Just so you know OneNote exists for iOS and Android. I keep all my stuff synced between my Surface Pro (1st gen with the Wacom digitizer) and Note 4 without any problem. Works fine on iOS too, but obviously there are no current iOS devices with pens so it's not very useful.

I'm definitely in the market for something to replace the SP1. The N-trig implementation in SP3 was really disappointing, especially in terms of tracking linearity, so that wasn't an option. Not really happy with the heavy throttling that was introduced when they pulled one of the fans either. It will be interesting to see if MS has significantly improved the N-trig tech since they own the company now (or if they think it's good enough because the majority of users don't care about it).

Apple Pencil looks like it's going to be competitive with Wacom (some are even saying it's competitive vs. Cintiq performance, not just the old stuff they sell to 3rd parties). iOS is a huge limiting factor, but things may start to change in terms of art and note apos if Apple delivers the best pen experience. There's currently nothing equivalent to Photoshop if that's the level of tool you need.

Last edited:

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Just so you know OneNote exists for iOS and Android. I keep all my stuff synced between my Surface Pro (1st gen with the Wacom digitizer) and Note 4 without any problem. Works fine on iOS too, but obviously there are no current iOS devices with pens so it's not very useful.

I'm definitely in the market for something to replace the SP1. The N-trig implementation in SP3 was really disappointing, especially in terms of tracking linearity, so that wasn't an option. Not really happy with the heavy throttling that was introduced when they pulled one of the fans either. It will be interesting to see if MS has significantly improved the N-trig tech since they own the company now (or if they think it's good enough because the majority of users don't care about it).

Apple Pencil looks like it's going to be competitive with Wacom (some are even saying it's competitive vs. Cintiq performance, not just the old stuff they sell to 3rd parties). iOS is a huge limiting factor, but things may start to change in terms of art and note apos if Apple delivers the best pen experience. There's currently nothing equivalent to Photoshop if that's the level of tool you need.

It's great timing for you to look at replacements for your SP1; you now have two products you can try: iPad Pro with Pencil and Surface Pro 4 with the improved display panel/pen stylus.

I'm grabbing iPad Pro as I have more iOS apps that I use daily than I have on Windows.

sjleworthy

macrumors 68000
Dec 5, 2008
Penarth, Wales, UK
As a pro artist and illustrator of 25+ years im always excited about drawing. No, never used a wacom, a traditional sketchbook and pen does me, as does a mouse with 3d software and 2d software (desktop). but yes, as you asked, i am interested and excited about the Pencil and ipp.
It is an item im planning on itegrating into my professional life.

How will it work out? How will it integrate? Which graphics apps will i choose?

All questions i cant wait to tackle. Ios isnt desktop standards, but it is powerfull, with great apps that are desktop software compatible. And im sure more and more specific drawing/Pencil apps for pros will hit the market.

Its a good time

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
The best device that is free, no battery/no charging is Samsung's S-Pen that is found in the Galaxy Note series as well as the Galaxy NotePro 12.2" & Galaxy Note 10.1" tablets. Samsung's S-Note applications alongside with MSFT Office is the best drawing, note taking and writing experience. Plus the S-Pen is built in to the smartphone/tablet not taking up more space. Both the Apple Pencil and Microsoft Surface Pro pen require charging (exception of the SP4's year long stylus battery) as well as being large accessories. Apple's iOS introduced a new Notes app that allows drawing partnered with either iWorks or MS Office with the Apple Pencil is a nice addition.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.