Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Digipimp

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2003
Texas
I just saw this on the app store and was checking out the pennytel.com site. Seems pretty good, anyone have any experience with PennyTel?

pranavss11

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2007
San Jose
I have used them before to call internationally. They are alright. The call quality varies. Sometimes its really good and sometimes bad.

Digipimp

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2003
Texas
seems cheap though. untimed calls at 8c AUD, which is roughly 6 cents US. so basically its 6 cents per call and you can talk as long as you want. not to mention the callback feature gives you the same rate when youre not on wifi. they even have a plan that comes with 80 free untimed calls and the 6 cents calls for about $3.50 a month.

pranavss11

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2007
San Jose
Yeah. It's worth it.
I haven't actually taken a look at this app, but callback option would go on your minutes anyway. So, unless you can call directly from the app it's not worth it.

MikeyTree

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2007
Yeah. It's worth it.
I haven't actually taken a look at this app, but callback option would go on your minutes anyway. So, unless you can call directly from the app it's not worth it.
It's definitely worth it, if you need to make a long distance call and you don't have WiFi available. I make a fair number of long distance calls, often when I'm walking to and from work or out somewhere.

In fact, I've been holding off on getting an iPhone precisely because it didn't have this kind of functionality. On my current verison account, I get free long distance anywhere in North America (including Canada and Mexico), and I couldn't afford to start paying AT&T's long distance rates every time I made a call.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.