Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stewart715

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 2, 2008
When people think of a tablet, they think of what's been out for years. A touch screen version of a computer. What people don't understand as this isn't an ordinary Mac computer with a finder, USB ports, ethernet ports, etc. It's a completely different type of technology that no one has ever produced. The closest produced is the iPhone/iPod touch.

There is a reason there is no USB ports. There is a reason there is no ethernet ports. There is a reason its not running Mac OS X. It is NOT a computer. It is not a MacBook touch. It is an iPad.

If people stopped expecting a COMPUTER and realized that its a different type of device than simply a touch screen mac, maybe they'd appreciate it more.

gibbz

macrumors 68030
May 31, 2007
Norman, OK
+1. People had some pretty unrealistic ideas about what this would be. Steve has never been one to buckle to demands of customers, as he has often quoted Henry Ford "If I had asked my customers what they wanted, they would have said a faster horse." Apple makes products we didn't know we needed.

Here is a good take which echoes your point.

Zyniker

macrumors 6502
Feb 14, 2008
The critics aren't even really worth addressing until the product is actually out and a decent number of people have had hands-on experience with it. At present, most of the criticism (and praise) is simply speculation. Time and, probable, success will likely silence more critics than will pre-emptive argument.

ss957916

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
To be fair, Jobs compared it to (in fact, suggested it's better than) a netbook. Which is a computer.

sfmountainbiker

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2009
While I agree with the OP in principle, many people were looking for a standalone computing device at that price point. I admit I was a bit dismayed to find out that the iPad requires a desktop/laptop to function. While this may encourage Mac sales, it also neglects a large segment of the market who's computing needs would be met with a simplified device such as a netbook.

The problem right now is you can buy a netbook for less money with much more computing power. That's not to say the netbook will be better per-se (particularly as they are limited by Windoze and don't sync seemlessly with a desktop), but Apple and devs have their work cut out for them to make the iPad seem like a better value to consumers.

sishaw

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2005
When people think of a tablet, they think of what's been out for years. A touch screen version of a computer. What people don't understand as this isn't an ordinary Mac computer with a finder, USB ports, ethernet ports, etc. It's a completely different type of technology that no one has ever produced. The closest produced is the iPhone/iPod touch.

There is a reason there is no USB ports. There is a reason there is no ethernet ports. There is a reason its not running Mac OS X. It is NOT a computer. It is not a MacBook touch. It is an iPad.

If people stopped expecting a COMPUTER and realized that its a different type of device than simply a touch screen mac, maybe they'd appreciate it more.

Yes, but is there any need for this "different type of device" that has a screen the size of a small netbook but the curtailed functionality of an iPod touch? I am uncomfortably reminded of the Segway, which was supposed to fit "between walking and driving." The trouble was, except for a few people with a lot of money who don't mind looking like a geek, there basically is no "between." As the iPad device (and probably more importantly, the apps) are not out yet, it's too soon say, but I wonder if the iPad is in the same non-existent "between" space--between the iPhone and a Macbook, in this case.

The feature I thought was most promising, by the way, was not so much its limited computing functions, but as a Kindle-killer and photo viewer. Also, the calendar looks nice.

gibbz

macrumors 68030
May 31, 2007
Norman, OK
To be fair, Jobs compared it to (in fact, suggested it's better than) a netbook. Which is a computer.

You just OWNED the OP right there. ;)

No, what he said was that people have wondered if there is a place for a product that fills the gap between say smartphones and laptops. He went on to say that some people think that netbooks are the answer. He followed by describing why they aren't the answer, in his opinion. Finally, he introduced what Apple thought the answer is, the iPad. Nowhere does that imply it was supposed to be a full out computer. All it did was point out that a normal computer running reduced specs wasn't the answer.

stewart715

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 2, 2008
No, what he said was that people have wondered if there is a place for a product that fills the gap between say smartphones and laptops. He went on to say that some people think that netbooks are the answer. He followed by describing why they aren't the answer, in his opinion. Finally, he introduced what Apple thought the answer is, the iPad. Nowhere does that imply it was supposed to be a full out computer. All it did was point out that a normal computer running reduced specs wasn't the answer.

Reowned. It is not a personal computer as we know it today. I hate when people respond trying to be funny "well it has a calculator application."

The thing isn't running Windows or OS X...it's its own device in its own entity.

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC
I look down on the iPad because it's MAJORLY handicapped as a browser. Steve Jobs says it's the "best browsing experience". Sorry, but if it doesn't even have a FULL browser how can it bring you the "best browsing experience"? With the iPad there's a good portion of sites I can't visit because it won't render on the iPad.

Sites like Hulu.com in particular are very - very - popular yet an iPad user can't go there. There are thousands of sites that use Flash to display content. It's sad that any "browsing tool" can't support Flash.

limesmoothie

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2009
Edinburgh, Scotland
The more I think about it, the more I realise what a genius Jobs really is. The device itself is nothing special, its nice to look at, it will feel nice to hold and touch but the functionality is compromised. So far, so nothing new here.

The serious users amongst us are feeling a bit cheated - we had projected wild fantasies onto the mythical device, a graphics tablet/multimedia device that was also a 'proper computer'.

Let's face facts - Steve and the Cupertino crowd don't need to please us - they already have us. They are going after the ones they don't have - the more casual users and the next generation.

Most kids today have grown up with an Apple device in their life, from a cheapie iPod shuffle to an iPhone if their parents are more affluent. If they don't have one themselves, all their friends do. Apple has over 70% market share. But the kids are growing up, moving through school and onto University. They are asking their folks to buy them a cheap laptop, or buying one themselves. This laptop is unlikely to be a MacBook. Once they buy that Windows machine, they are unlikely to go back to Mac. Hence the limited market share of computers Apple commands. Even with hefty education discount, Macs are expensive.

So what you need is a 'bridge' device. Looking pretty cheap. Doing most of the things people do online, web browsing, light gaming, streaming audio. Throw in basic WP and presentation software. Make it look cool. Apple is an aspirational brand - Bingo! They have access to computers at school and home, so don't care that they can't build a database or complex spreadsheet on the iPad. Its a device to hook them in and keep them using Apple products, consuming via iTunes. After a few years of that, they are used to using Apple so buying a desktop/laptop is a natural progression.

Or maybe I'm just a conspiracy theorist.

amitdoc2b

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2008
All they had to do was add a built-in webcam and I would have bought 2 of their top models with accessories for $2000+. I can overlook the lack of all features, but not the webcam. That would have set it apart from the iPod Touch and iPhone, yet still not as good as a MacBook. And many netbooks have a webcam in them as well.

stewart715

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 2, 2008
I look down on the iPad because it's MAJORLY handicapped as a browser. Steve Jobs says it's the "best browsing experience". Sorry, but if it doesn't even have a FULL browser how can it bring you the "best browsing experience"? With the iPad there's a good portion of sites I can't visit because it won't render on the iPad.

Sites like Hulu.com in particular are very - very - popular yet an iPad user can't go there. There are thousands of sites that use Flash to display content. It's sad that any "browsing tool" can't support Flash.

Thumbs up on this one...Flash is very important for web use. Personally, I blame Adobe on the lack of support of Flash on the iPhone...

Also, Things like Hulu wouldn't be supported by the iPhone because they want you to buy TV shows from iTunes store :/ Corporate greed gets in the way of good things..

stewart715

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 2, 2008
All they had to do was add a built-in webcam and I would have bought 2 of their top models with accessories for $2000+. I can overlook the lack of all features, but not the webcam. That would have set it apart from the iPod Touch and iPhone, yet still not as good as a MacBook. And many netbooks have a webcam in them as well.

You're telling me you'd be willing to pay $1171 extra for a built-in webcam?

CP123

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2008
Apple makes products and TELLS us what we need. No choice, especially in regards to there mobile phones and Ipods.

If you don't need it, then don't buy it. I think that's pretty simple.

I think the iPad fits a totally different need. I have a macBook, a MBP, and an iMac. The last thing I need is a netbook type of tablet. I believe that this thing will be great for students, who can download their textbooks and take notes in class. Additionally, with medical records being digitized, it will be much easier for doctors and nurses to walk around with this from patient to patient than, say a netbook or a smartphone device.

Just my opinion.

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC
Thumbs up on this one...Flash is very important for web use. Personally, I blame Adobe on the lack of support of Flash on the iPhone...

Also, Things like Hulu wouldn't be supported by the iPhone because they want you to buy TV shows from iTunes store :/ Corporate greed gets in the way of good things..

I 100% agree on Apple wanting people to purchase shows and movies from iTunes. They know many users watch FREE shows and movies online right now. I can see easily say 30-40% of my time is watching Hulu.com.

If the iPad had a full working browser I'd get the $650 iPad in a heartbeat. It would be an amazing internet web browsing tool. But, no Flash support and there's little use for me.

REM314

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2009
Canada

No he didn't actually. He bashed netbooks, but he also didn't say that this was meant to be the "Apple netbook". He compared the iPad to a whole new category of device.

dgree03

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
No he didn't actually. He bashed netbooks, but he also didn't say that this was meant to be the "Apple netbook". He compared the iPad to a whole new category of device.

Then why mention a netbook? He purposely did that as a "that didnt work" type of cutdown. Then he showed us what would work in a "Magical Device"

bobr1952

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2008
Melbourne, FL
If you don't need it, then don't buy it. I think that's pretty simple.

On this point, I totally agree. Apple made their product introduction yesterday and now we shall see what happens over the next 60 days and beyond. It will either sell and it will not sell. I personally agree quite a bit with the OP and his assertion that this is a totally different device and perhaps we don't really know yet if we need the iPad or not--time will tell.

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL

1) You already have a portable device...a MacBookPro
2) It's NOT a netbook
3) The webcam would chew up battery/processor use.

Face it, it's an iPad, not a mini MacBook (it was never meant to be a notebook replacement). For 95% of the public it will do 95% of what they need it for.

XboxEvolved

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2004
Well here is the thing. First off it's like you ignored key details and what Apple is marketing it as.

When everyone heard the rumors before that it was just, "a big iPod" I think like me, a lot of people assumed there was a lot more to it than that.

When Apple was saying they think they had a better answer than a netbook, AUTOMATICALLY they better be talking about something besides a giant iPod and it wasn't

I want you to give me one--ONE instance you would use this over your Mac or iPhone and it actually be a practical use besides, its easier to read while your in the crapper.

carfac

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2006
>>> People look down on the iPad because they think it's a computer

No. Plain and simple, I look down non it because it is a worthless of piece of SHlT. It has no purpose in life.... I can get an iTouch, or a MB(p). I do not need a hobbled version of a compromise of the WORST of both items.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.